Lithops capsules ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ivan
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lithops capsules ID

Post by Ivan »

Is there a chance of identifying a Lithops by the capsules? Here are a couple I got and also a couple of pictures of possibilities. Also, can I just add a drop of water to the capsule and remove the seeds or should I try removing them from the dry capsule?
DSCN5935-1.jpg
DSCN5935-1.jpg (180.5 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
DSCN5932-2.jpg
DSCN5932-2.jpg (183.97 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
Thumb Pot 1.jpg
Thumb Pot 2.jpg
Terry S.

Re: Lithops capsules ID

Post by Terry S. »

Hello Ivan; there may be some subtle shape differences such as width:depth ratio and also 5 locules may be commoner in some species than the six shown. Bur generally speaking the answer to your question is no. There are actually more differences in the seeds, particularly in their size.

I always clean out capsules by soaking them in a small beaker of water until they open and then scraping out the seeds in the water with a needle. The water can be easily decanted from the seeds and I then leave them to dry on filter paper. The water method also helps to wash out any potential germination inhibitors. Purchasers of MSG lithops seeds will have had most of their material treated in this way.
rthr
BCSS Member

Post by rthr »

Hi Ivan. The two fruits in your photos don't look quite ripe yet, so don't be surprised if a drop of water doesn't easily open them. If you do break-in and manage to extract anything it's likely the seeds inside haven't fully matured so their germination at this stage may well fail. In general it's best to leave the capsules attached to the plant to ripen - remove only once you notice them wanting to release seeds, usually this will be when you water your plants sometime during the spring/summer following flowering. Your immature capsules may still ripen however, if you can leave them in a dry sunny spot for another month or two. Catherine
jpp13
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by jpp13 »

Terry S. wrote:I always clean out capsules by soaking them in a small beaker of water until they open and then scraping out the seeds in the water with a needle. The water can be easily decanted from the seeds and I then leave them to dry on filter paper. The water method also helps to wash out any potential germination inhibitors. Purchasers of MSG lithops seeds will have had most of their material treated in this way.
Terry made you the same way with Conophytum capsule?

Thank you in advance,

Jean-Pierre
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

Terry S. wrote:...I always clean out capsules by soaking them in a small beaker of water until they open and then scraping out the seeds in the water with a needle...
Thank-you, Terry. I decided to give this a try and and it worked well. But.... (read on)
rthr wrote:The two fruits in your photos don't look quite ripe yet, so don't be surprised if a drop of water doesn't easily open them.
Good eye, Catherine. These were not from my plants and I've had these capsules since the end of March so I didn't think that they would dry any more than the are. When I soaked them they did take some time to soften. I expected them to open almost right away and with a little poking the seeds would loosen. They did come out fairly easily, though. I also noticed the seeds were a bit lighter in colour than I expected but I thought that might just be from the soaking. After reading your comments, I don't really expect great germination, if any. I will let the seeds sit and dry for a few months before sowing some. I will leave the rest for a year and try again. If nothing else, it will give me experience. Thank-you!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

They might be L. aucampiae capsules but hard to be sure. A profile picture would help, but not necessarily enough to pick the species. Some are very distinctive, but many aren't.

Combined with a good look at the seeds, you can make a guess at the species. L. lesliei (probably not what you have) seeds are very distinctive. Many seeds are quite pale when fresh and darken as they get older. I don't find colour a good diagnostic, except for a few oddballs. Size and surface texture are more useful.
Cheshire, UK
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

iann wrote:... A profile picture would help, ... Combined with a good look at the seeds, you can make a guess at the species
profile and seeds of picture 1
profile and seeds of picture 1
profile and seeds of picture 2
profile and seeds of picture 2
kvb
Registered Guest

Post by kvb »

have look here if you want to compare.
http://lithops.padstoel.nl/lithops%20seeds.html

Chris