Did you enjoy the national show

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Lyn
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Did you enjoy the national show

Post by Lyn »

I would LOVED to have gone ,it looked an AMAZING show and WOW there were so many beautiful Cacti and succulents there :-)
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

Following all the positive feedback from the national I am amazed that no one has picked up on my post of 23 Aug (see above) where I suggested that 4 years to wait until the next national was too long and questioned whether they could be held every 2 or 3 years. Any thoughts, anyone?
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

We've had this discussion many times before and the officials will not budge, it's every four years. Such a shame but I know it does involve a lot of work.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

Yeah, I'd like two years too but I think it's more effort than the officials are willing to take on as it takes up a lot of time.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I would like to see a class for variegated agaves only, as they are normally much slower & sometimes harder to grow than the greenies. They are at a disadvantage :grin: .

You could also do this for haworthia.

Another class I saw at the recent Oxford show that was quite interesting was for the cristate & normal form of a cactus.
Last edited by Tina on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Tina,
Years ago they had a cactus class for one normal and one cristate of the same species.
from memory the late Ken Ethridge of the Portsmouth branch always won it with Mammillaria schiedeana.
Last edited by Geoff Lovell on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

In response to my suggestion that we should consider holding the national show more frequently LizM wrote:

"We've had this discussion many times before and the officials will not budge, it's every four years. Such a shame but I know it does involve a lot of work."

But surely the officials are elected to serve the interests of the members, and it seems a shame to lose the momentum so recently generated, so if there is enough support among the members then the officials should reconsider - perhaps we should have a referendum!
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

It is worth pointing out that many of the same people who volunteer as officials (and many of the exhibitors) are involved in organising our BCSS National Convention, which is scheduled for two years time.

In general, there is s shortage of volunteer organisers at local branch level and it does limit what can be attempted. Branches have closed for lack of people to run them.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Harrow Branch
Ian Thwaites
BCSS Member
Branch: SPALDING
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Ian Thwaites »

I am pleased that everyone enjoyed the show. Its not so much the organisation of the show that limits it to every 4 years but more the case of how can we fit it in. The convention is now every 4 years and two years apart from the National so we would not want to clash with that.

If we had the show more regularly would all the same exhibitors be prepared to enter. Please remember many of the exhibitors hired vans, took holiday from work and paid for hotel accommodation. As Derek so rightly points out there are a host of volunteers and would we get the same commitment with a more regular show?

I believe the better course of action is to support local branch and zone shows and use these as practice grounds for the National every 4 years. Branch shows to my mind should be the focal point of the branch calendar and can be such fun. If you don't already have a show why not think about starting one up?
Ian Thwaites
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

There are always alternatives ... The BCSS could hand organising over to a professional event management company, probably at an even larger venue, but hopefully one more easily accessed via public transport. I have no doubt our show is a spectacle of national interest and would attract more visitors with wider publicity. It would mean paying more like £25, rather than £5, to enter though.

Best wishes,
DT