Did you enjoy the national show

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Did you enjoy the national show

Post by Liz M »

Yet I know for a fact, having spoken to so many people at so many shows that lots and lots of people collect and love their cacti and succulents and don't belong to the society. I have spoken to too many who did not know we existed. What is going wrong? If more knew about the society and the shows, more would come along to the shows and more would join. The word is not getting out to the right people but I don't know how we can do it.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Perhaps not Liz . Lots of people grow chrysanthemums dahlias and daffodils but don't belong to the respective societies. I think there is a fundamental difference between the average person who grows a few cacti and succulents and those of us who are more (dare I say) obsessive about it. The division is visible on the forum, and I am sure that the society appeals mostly to those who view growing as a serious hobby. Where are the articles in the journal that would appeal to the less serious grower you are thinking of?
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I think the National only works because of the time interval, people hire vans to bring show specimens, that wouldn't happen if it was held every year and the attendance figures would probably drop. The four year interval seems to make it a more special event. I still think the society could have spent a bit on small classified adverts in the garden magazines, an extra 10 pounds per table would have raised an extra 1000 which could have bought some advertising space however small. I'd have been happy to pay the extra table cost.
Stuart
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Lyn »

I would have LOVED to have gone it looks like it was absolutely INCREDIBLE Show :-) but I made it to the Belfast Northern Ireland Cactus and Succulent Show last week and it was AMAZING :-) but definitely my wish to make it to the National Show in the Future :-)
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/