Grafting into opuntia. It really works?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Lifer
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Grafting into opuntia. It really works?

Post by Lifer »

Im doing this more as a necessity than experiment. Im using opuntia elata right now, I find some in the parks from the city, looks the one for the best results, and enough cold hardy and resistant for this climate. I try with opuntias since a while, with no results. I discovered the issues. And now and finally, im having more decent results. Not all the grafts make union and some seedlings die. But I hope keep at least two plant grafted as motherplants. But im not convinced with the people, a lot saying good things about the opuntia as stock, but some, never couldn´t work with them, some tell me the opuntia reject the plant with the time, and the plant suddenly, dry up and die if it´s not regrafted in another stock. Is that possible? I thinked once the stock accept the plant the stock can live until the plant turn very big and collapse the stock

The things are this ones. How long can be used the opunta as stock? Is permanent or good for a long time? I never saw old grafts into opuntias, and even big plants. The plants make more flowers at a more young age? It really work only a few days old seedlings and reach the adult size? Do all the opuntias with fast grow work? I saw grafts into opuntia cochenillifera, the compressa of course, elata only a little. But one friend tell me can be good, for that reason Im using it

Mammillaria saboae cutting, starting to grow

Ariocarpus bravoanus, starting to grow

Escobaria navajoensis succesfully grafted
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Grafting into opuntia. It really works?

Post by Tina »

Hi
Congratulations on the grafting.
Yes Opuntia make good grafting stock, it depends if you want fast untypical growth and/or seeds or a slower growing stock so the scion looks more natural.
I have had old opuntia grafted stocks & they last for years, after a while you can bury them in gravel or if the plant is large enough you can try degrafting. It also depends if the scion is difficult to grow on it's own roots.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.