What is happening here?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

What is happening here?

Post by rodsmith »

I am showing photos of two sets of one year old lithops seedlings. Both sets are in 2" pots. Two of the seedlings in the 1st photo appear to be preparing new leaves for next year. Both sets are derivatives of L. karasmontana. You will note that Eberlanzii, the variant showing new leaves, are much smaller than the Signalberg variant, which appear to be acting as normal for the time of year. Both sets of seedlings have been treated more or less the same. Comments would be welcome :???: . Seed was from BCSS. Click twice for close-ups. I think I will have to pot up the eberlanzii otherwise the watering regime could create problems, i.e. how do I avoid watering them all and so encourage stacking in the "odd couple".
Lithops karasmontana subsp. eberlanzii
Lithops karasmontana subsp. eberlanzii
Lithops karasmontana Signalberg
Lithops karasmontana Signalberg
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: What is happening here?

Post by iann »

Seedlings do this more often than adults, perhaps partly because they are more often in communal pots. Lithops are hard to manage longterm in group plantings, and attempts to water just one Lithops never seem to be successful. An occasional early leaf in a seedling shouldn't be fatal, and even if it is you have a group planting so there must be spares :)
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: What is happening here?

Post by rodsmith »

Thanks Ian.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.