Two unhappy plants

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
picnic
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Two unhappy plants

Post by picnic »

This gymnocalycium baldianum has started yellowing around the bottom and one areole has burst open. The base of the Pachycereus pringlei is going brownish. I started water fortnightly in April and went to weekly watering from about mid-May. I usually add a few drops of Baby Bio to the water. I've just started to slightly reduce the frequency.

I've given them a good prod and neither of the afflicted areas are mushy so I don't think it's over-watering. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? Neither plant has grown much in size this year but the Gymo has formed about half a dozen new sets of spikes (but if anything it seems a little smaller than last year). They are both kept on an east-facing windowsill and have been given plenty of fresh air throughout the summer. All my other plants are kept in the same place and with the same watering regime and some have shown spectacular growth this year and seem very happy.
IMG_20160826_185320237.jpg
IMG_20160826_185425881.jpg
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Two unhappy plants

Post by esp »

If you are concerned, it's always worth checking the roots. What's the soil like under the top dressing? Is it loose and open, and does it dry out well?
picnic
Registered Guest

Post by picnic »

Thanks for the reply, yes it's very open and drains easily. I'm stumped, they've both been ok up until the last month or so...
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

So are the roots healthy?
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Looks like the first one could be rotting, unfortunately.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

I have a few Pachycereus pringlei that are reddish/brownish at the base and assumed it was just ageing/corking
Of course that doesn't mean they are supposed to look that way - perhaps mine are poorly too ;)
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi,

I am certain that your plants are not coming to any harm; I think that all that is happening is that they are aging, and like trees they get more woody with age at the base. You can unpot them and make sure that nothing untoward is going on, but I really don't think you would find that there was. If you like to think of them as toughening up, then that is a simple way of looking at it.

Regards, Suzanne Mace
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I don't see anything I'd be panicking about.
Cheshire, UK
picnic
Registered Guest

Post by picnic »

Thanks for the replies all. I think I will look at the roots of the Gymno tomorrow, I'm not to worried about the other one.
picnic
Registered Guest

Post by picnic »

Well the roots look nice and healthy, strong, white and not a hint of mush. This was my first plant and I think I used too little grit in the mix when I re-potted it; nevertheless, the compost is draining nicely. I've put it back in the pot a little lower to hide the more unsightly parts :D

gymno-roots.jpg