Mexican Plants post 27/11/1997

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: Mexican Plants post 27/11/1997

Post by ragamala »

IanW wrote:I understand your concerns ragamala but I do not see how censoring those who engage in possibly illegal purchase of plants in any way helps save the species back in habitat. The collection of habitat species is going to happen regardless of what happens here on the forums, so I tend to think it's preferable for anyone doing so to have it pointed out to them that that's the case when they post, than it is to pretend the problem doesn't exist by sweeping it under the rug even though it clearly does, and clearly will continue to do so. There's a risk that by taking that option you decrease awareness of the problem.
Thanks for the understanding. I was only trying earlier to help point to information sources. I got the hump maybe because I was told I didn't know what I was talking about..... But since you insist, my concern is this. As a collector in the UK it is our moral responsibility, right or wrong resultswise, to recognise the rights of other countries to determine their own future. I was upset to read Stuart's to my mind somewhat arrogant and patronising assumption that there are no competent nurseries in Mexico who are capable of propagation. If this is the attitude, that we regard Mexico as a third world country, third world values that are inferior to ours, we have first of all NO CHANCE of affecting Mexico's or international regulation. We will be laughed out of court. Rightly.

By all means examine the Society's position, I think it is time for a reassessment with Brexit looming. But surely it is not I sweeping anything under the carpet? To propose that whatever we do it is futile is the real burying head in sand. If we applied that to everything we would be advocating selfish anarchy. But what I am totally opposed to is that any cynical view which says it is fine to do as we want, regardless of legislation. And we know more about international conservation issues that countries whose heritage is involved. I have pointed to
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

I had a Mexican person contact me when I was selling spare agave albopilosa that I had grown from seed, it's very difficult to get even native succulents as there are few growers only harvesters, he was buying from the Uk, USA & other countries to source Mexican plants to grow in his own garden.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

M.bertoldii grows like a weed in european cutivation, has done for years
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

How many? and who introduced it first, when?
As far as I know, Andreas Berthold found it first and didn't immediately know what it was, and it was only when Thomas Linzen et al went back and realised what it was. That was what, 4 years ago now at the max.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

As mentioned before, on this forum, found lot's of things, and kept schtum, after seeing what happened to A. bravoanus.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

I'd still like to know, so please send me a pm. Discretion assured, but since the cat is out of the bag....
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Lithos wrote:M.bertoldii grows like a weed in european cutivation, has done for years
Are you really sure? I have yet to see a plant on offer on a succulent fair.
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

Tina found them at ELK, See 'elk haul' on this forum. And posted pictures, alongside Aztekium hintonii etc. On which you commented.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Yes, and I was surprised it was already on offer at ELK.
But I have not seen it myself (while I have seen other rare plants like Aztekium valdezii, Lavrania haagnerae and Whitesloane crassa on multiple occasions). Let alone it grows like weed anywhere.
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

Once grafted, it 'pups' quickly. If you make a small cut under each tubercle, they send out adventitious roots, then can be removed, and produce an own roots plant. A little bit of trial and error, over some time, produces a lot of plants. Apparently.