Loph.fricii

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Loph.fricii

Post by Eric Williams »

Today is the above plant's birthday. It is 33 years young loL Probably older as I had it as a tiny seedling from Pete and Ken. Cheers Also some nice plants
IMG_3260.JPG
IMG_3260.JPG (54.78 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
IMG_3256.JPG
IMG_3256.JPG (50.67 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
IMG_3253.JPG
IMG_3253.JPG (104.79 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
it shares a home with.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Loph.fricii

Post by rodsmith »

Very impressive, Eric. An eclectic mix.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I like the ring of wool. What do I have to do to make mine do that?
Cheshire, UK
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Lovely plants Eric, especially the Echeveria, assume it is lauii? I have a good number of plants which originally came from Pete and Ken, the nursery is sadly missed.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks for your kind words Rod. It is E lauii, and it's quite a nice plant. Re wool rings on the Loph. I thinks it's awaiting game myself. Unlike us males, this plant get more hair as it gets older. LoL. 2 years ago when re potting some Arios. I repotted it with Ario.compost and it likes it. Cheers
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

It is a rather nice looking plant Eric, I have a very young one which is growing surprisingly quickly though I suspect they slow down later in life.
Out of interest what is in your special Ariocarpus mix?
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Keith, every one has their own particular mix to suit their growing conditions and facilities ( greenhouse) or other, so If your plant is growing well you must have given it the right conditions. This is mine, I use it for alkaline loving plant such as Arios, Lophs, Pelecephoras etc, and all seem to like it. By parts,3 heavy loam clay, 5 coarse grits (1-6 mm sizes) or 3grit,and 2 Tesco finest. 2 lime stone chippings, had to buy a small bag in Travis Perkins LoL For acid loving plants I use the vinegar method to lower the ph. and tap water plus feed for the Arios etc. As Lophs have long tap roots I provide them with deeper pots than normal. My fricii is in a 4inch dia. pot but the depth is more like 6 inches. Slightly off topic, Mr Rene Giesler gave me a tip 2 years ago to grow my Arios as close to the glass as possible. With this idea and my mix plants have doubled in size much more faster than normal. Thanks Rene. Cheers and good growing. ps the plants do not burn even 2-3 inches from the glass.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

Thank you for the detail Eric, mine is in equal parts JI #2 / horticultural grit / perlite so there will be a bit of lime from the JI. It lives in a 2& 3/4" square 'deep' pot on a high, full sun shelf with the Turbs.
I think I need some Arios to keep them company. :)
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Keith, seems your plants are doing just fine. Yes growing Arios. From seed is fun, and not so difficult as was first thought of years ago. Cheers
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by Lyn »

Such a wonderful collection Eric :-) thanks so much for sharing XXXX <3
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/