Staging for a new greenhouse?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Staging for a new greenhouse?

Post by DaveW »

My greenhouse is 18ft x 12 ft wide with stagings I made myself each side, with a 2 ft deep raised centre bed instead of another staging. As I said the stagings are topped with sheathing plywood on 3" x 2" legs and rails and with a 6" upstand to stop clothes sweeping plants off, or snagging hooked spines and then lined with roofing felt. They have a three quarter inch slit along their centre where the felt is turned down through the hole for drainage.

The main stagings are 3ft high x 3ft wide and the shelf above 18 inches wide of similar construction to the staging, but instead of a centre slit they slope slightly to the centre of the greenhouse where a gutter empties into a fall pipe to the staging below.
greenhouse2.jpg
You have to use a pair of aluminium steps to get up to the shelf, but that is no problem. The bubble wrap is UV stabilised and left up all the time since it would be too much trouble to keep taking down and putting up.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Tina wrote:... I was thinking of having sort of C shapes, didn't someone on the forum have this- speak up please with pictures if you have them....
Tina, this is a plan of the staging inside my Robinson Rosette. I don't have a photo to hand when built and empty as they are all pre-digital. To give an idea of scale the square benches are 4 foot square. These days I use a number of Two Wests aluminium trays to bridge the gaps in some of the alley-ways, particularly in winter to maximise use of space.
staging.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Thanks Tony, just what I wanted.
How wide is the greenhouse this is designed for plz,
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

The Rosette is 10ft 6in wide. You could do any width by adjusting the size of the tables. The idea was that most plants are within easy reach, not much more than 2ft from one direction.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I had a similar layout in a previous greenhouse Tony, but the square beds alternated as to which side they were attached to, so giving a zigzag path. It's always a problem finding the best arrangement so as not to waste valuable greenhouse space with paths.

As said earlier, some greenhouse widths are not really very efficient for growing off stagings since they waste too much of the interior in paths, particularly if you are paying for heating it. It is best to design everything on paper first from the inside out to maximise staging room versus path space and then see if you can find a greenhouse of suitable width to take them.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Tina wrote:Hi Chris
What width is your greenhouse ?, as this will be my last one( so Baz says) I went for a 12ft wide but not sure about staging I was thinking of having sort of C shapes, didn't someone on the forum have this- speak up please with pictures if you have them.

I always go for metal after a bunch of mealy were hiding under the slats of my first wooden staging, I kept treating the plants & they kept coming back until I eventually got my brain in gear and found them.
I nearly died of malathion poisoning and learnt that it kills crassula plants.
I'm probably going to go for a 12 ft wide and 20 ft long Rhino. I've played around with different layouts, the most obvious being staging around each side and back, and a pier from the middle of the back towards the door. That would create two paths, so that limits the width of the staging. To make 2ft 6 walkways, the staging would have to be perhaps 2 ft wide at the sides, and 3 ft wide in the centre (2x2, 3, 2 x 2'6 = 12). I calculate that gives me about 146 sq ft of staging. If the staging at the back were deeper it would reduce the length of the central pier, and probably not make a huge difference.

However, with 4 ft wide staging (hence the question that started this thread), a simple U shape with 4 ft wide staging gives me 176 sq ft, and a lot of space to move around in.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

One advantage of placing the walkways at the edge, and the staging in the middle, is the plants are further away from the cold glass - and it is easier to clean the glass, put bubble wrap up, etc...
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

ralphrmartin wrote:One advantage of placing the walkways at the edge, and the staging in the middle, is the plants are further away from the cold glass - and it is easier to clean the glass, put bubble wrap up, etc...
....and you have extra height that can accommodate taller plants.

I have a 22 x 12 greenhouse with staging along both sides, the far end and down the middle, so there are 2 pathways between as you describe above, Chris. The central 'pier' on mine is shorter so I can put even taller plants on the floor at this point, too. Works for me. I used Rhino staging with wooden slats - I wouldn't choose those again as the sticky foam spacers don't stay sticky for long, fall off, then you are left with slats that move every time you move a plant.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

I've seen these in Kew Gardens.
d97ea3eb72a0a0ac1b2c8359ab08f3df.jpg
d97ea3eb72a0a0ac1b2c8359ab08f3df.jpg (269.18 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
449_2_0_0.JPG
449_2_0_0.JPG (67.67 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
Basicall the weight of the staging top is supported on the rollers (pipes) so the whole table top can be moved from side to side surprisingly very easily. This means you only need one walkway down your greenhouse. This is particularly usefull for a middle section.
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

I had a chance to view the private C&S collection at Winterbourne garden at the last auction hosted by Birmingham branch. The staging there was the same design, fantastically easy to move about and a great way to maximise growing space but probably only viable for larger commercial greenhouses.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk