Autumn/Winter watering and potting on

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Leandra
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KING'S LYNN

Autumn/Winter watering and potting on

Post by Leandra »

Hi Folks :grin:

I was wondering whether now is the time to stop watering my cacti for the upcoming winter- or should I give them one or two more waterings?

Also, a couple I have were never potted on and are now dry. Would it be safe to pot them on now or should I wait until spring to do this?

Best Wishes
Leandra
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Autumn/Winter watering and potting on

Post by Aiko »

Stop watering! I stopped watering weeks ago already. Especially those that stay unprotected (from the frost) in the greenhouse for the whole of winter. They should not be too plumped up, which is only a risk for them when it freezes.

Only small (one year old) seedlings you might still be watering (but just a bit) every month or so. Just a light splash. Bigger plants (say, bigger than about one centimeter) you can safely keep dry for many months, so keep them dry until late March.

Regarding repotting, that is still okay. There are many different opinions on this forum on this. Some repot in winter, others in summer only. I personally don't think it matters much.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I agree with Aiko's comments regarding watering, although it does depend to some extent on where your cacti are sited. If in a greenhouse that gets a lot of sun you can water a bit longer than one that is more shaded. That said, I wouldn't water at all after mid-October, except for the odd splash for species that lose their roots if they get too dry (eg Notocactus (Parodia) leninghausii).

As regards repotting/potting-on, I do this whenever is convenient but if in the non-growing period I use a dry mix.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

rodsmith wrote:... I wouldn't water at all after mid-October, except for the odd splash ...
As regards repotting/potting-on, I do this whenever is convenient but if in the non-growing period I use a dry mix.
Agreed, but this year (in Kent UK) I have given everything a darn good watering during this last week, as things were looking so dry after a warm, sunny autumn. Now they can dry out again, I hope!

Yes, I do more of my repotting and potting on from November to March, when I have much more time to spare, with as dry a mix as I can.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Leandra
BCSS Member

Post by Leandra »

Thanks everyone and much appreciated.

They actually haven't been watered for about a month now so are dry. If it was summer, I would have given them some water at this point.

As to location, they are currently on my kitchen windowsill, where they get a burst of any sunshine in the late afternoon. I am expecting that as winter draws in, I may have to move them if the windows here condense overnight- currently an unknown quantity as I moved here in April and it is an upstairs flat that I am in. Neither do I have the place heated much.

My notocactus leninghausii may then need his potting on and a little water. I can't wait to extricate him from that peat based rubbish!

Best Wishes,

Leandra
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by FaeLLe »

Leandra wrote: As to location, they are currently on my kitchen windowsill, where they get a burst of any sunshine in the late afternoon. I am expecting that as winter draws in, I may have to move them if the windows here condense overnight- currently an unknown quantity as I moved here in April and it is an upstairs flat that I am in. Neither do I have the place heated much.
Considering you are keeping them indoors I assume you will have central heating on and they are not going to be able to go dormant and will keep trying to grow.

In that case you might want to continue watering them once a month... just watch out for lack of sunlight.

Happy to be corrected by others because I am learning forever :)
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

FaeLLe wrote: In that case you might want to continue watering them once a month... just watch out for lack of sunlight.

Happy to be corrected by others because I am learning forever :)
Watering when they are warm, is dangerous regarding etiolation. Water + warmth == growth. Growth is risky if you cannot provide light intensity at the same time. You might like to keep them dry, assuming the size of the plant can take a long warm dormancy. Better to just place the plants in a coo and frost free place. Just as long as you don't water them, a dark place will be just as fine. Isn't there a unheated room you can keep them for the winter?
Leandra
BCSS Member

Post by Leandra »

Yes, I do have an unheated room- the whole flat most of the time actually :eek: as I am out most days and only have heating on a little in the evenings before bed but not overnight! The kitchen doesn't really get hot either as I don't do any major cooking in it- no time!

I do have one room I never heat so I could probably move them there.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Leandra wrote:I do have one room I never heat so I could probably move them there.
That would probably be best, and when they're dormant they don't need to be near a window so that gives you a bit of flexibility.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Whilst it's nominally late to water, the current warm spell will allow the application of pesticides, either by spray or even drenching in case of root mealies. It's a good time of year to deal with mealies and spider mite. I've done this often without causing problems and intend to do it tomorrow.