Are'nt these Succulents?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Are'nt these Succulents?

Post by Phil_SK »

Mine was fixed (in firefox) by installing a dictionary: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... tionary-2/ :roll:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Rika
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Rika »

I'm very interested in growing rosulate violets. However, none of the seeds I bought ever germinated. Any trick to that?
Darren S
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Darren S »

Alpine growers have been attempting these and mostly failing for decades. Sometimes one appears at an Alpine show in flower but very rarely.

To germinate the seed you need to soak it for 24 hours in a 500ppm solution of Gibberellic acid (GA3) (you can sometimes buy it on ebay) then put the seeds in damp filter paper in the fridge for several weeks until the roots show, then pot them up. I have done this with a few species and it works well. Rosulate viola seem to be one of the few plants with an absolute requirement for Gibberellic acid for germination.

They are, however, extremely difficult to get past the cotyledon stage and they need maximum light at all times or they will etiolate badly. Sadly, if you overdo it with the GA3 this just makes the etiolation worse.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Rika wrote:I'm very interested in growing rosulate violets. However, none of the seeds I bought ever germinated. Any trick to that?
Certainly nice plants. Never came across them before.
1077ba2674866c9a4c46bfaf5d6838c1.jpg
1077ba2674866c9a4c46bfaf5d6838c1.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Phil_SK wrote:Mine was fixed (in firefox) by installing a dictionary: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... tionary-2/ :roll:
Thanks for the link. I had tried loading a dictionary before but must have been a different link. Worked this time.

Thanks again.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Thanks Phil.
Dictionary is great - works a treat - does not recognise DaveW though, wants to change him to Waved :lol:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

My hair used to be waved at one time Tony, but it waved goodbye some time ago.

I have all the spellchecker turned on, but still it does not work. However I found this:-

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2584 ... -10-a.html
Last edited by DaveW on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

DaveW wrote:My hair used to be waved at one time Tony, but it waved goodbye some time ago.
Mine too!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)