Is there a name for this problem?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David48
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Is there a name for this problem?

Post by David48 »

Earlier in the summer my Echinocereus started to grow in a scar tissue sort of way from its apex, (best way I can describe it), then it seems that the growing apex has completely sealed and no further growth of any kind looks possible. I am sure there has been no external damage as in pests, although it was exposed to direct sun in the garden, but this is not what you might expect from scorching. Yesterday I received a plant from an Ebay seller with the same apparent issue (seller has agreed to replace the plant, a Sulcorebutia heinzii). Is there a name for this condition? What causes it? I have not worked out how to upload an image here, so I will post a link to the BCSS Facebook group which has photos of the issue I have raised: https://www.facebook.com/groups/434020283466998/
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Is there a name for this problem?

Post by habanerocat »

Scroll down the page, click on attachments, add files, place inline. Best uploaded from your PC.
There are size restrictions listed in a more detailed guide here somewhere.

Looks like cristate growth to me.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

There is an ebay seller selling Dutch plants they call Sulcorebutia Heinzii which are actually Sulcorebutia Arenacea - looks like they have little knowledge of cacti and are trying to name plants from Google images!. Same seller is selling grafted cacti claimed to be grafted on Euphorbia stock!! Sulcorebutia Arenacea can often have a growing point that just seems to either semi-crest or just stop with smooth growth and no spines. It seems normal for that particular species at a certain size and doesn't show any cultural faults.
Stuart
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

David48 wrote:I have not worked out how to upload an image here, so I will post a link to the BCSS
The img button is for inserting a link (not recommended) you need to click on the attachments tab below the dialogue box, then add files, select your photo, upload your file then place inline at the appropriate point in your text.

The image on facebook is small enough for uploading to this forum so here it is....

14680599_10211382001525342_8894671470101312042_n.jpg
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

With Echinocereus, growth (flowers, offsets etc) will often burst through the tissue above an areole. I would wait and see therefore since the growing point may yet burst through that apical tissue in the same way.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
David48
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by David48 »

Thank you for the above advice. Chagrin if "heinzii" is really "arenacea". I have returned my plant for a replacement. Thank you for attachment advise. I am attaching a photo of my received plant. This was my Ebay seller, with "heinzii" for sale:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sulcorebutia- ... SwYIxYBKAx
Attachments
16-10-27 Sulcorebutia heinzii scarred apex.JPG
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Yes - that's Arenacea, it will have yellow flowers, not red as in the ebay description. It's the same seller who seemed to think cacti were grafted on euphorbias! Looks to be more of a garden centre and only a short way from here but I've not heard of them. I'd throw out a plant like that that had lost its growing point, certainly wouldn't sell one like that.
Stuart
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Stuart wrote:I'd throw out a plant like that that had lost its growing point, certainly wouldn't sell one like that.
Stuart
Indeed, but as an excellent nurseryman, you would remove the offsets first for further propagation :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Stuart wrote:It's the same seller who seemed to think cacti were grafted on euphorbias! Looks to be more of a garden centre and only a short way from here but I've not heard of them. Stuart
Stuart, Since you live only 12 miles away from Paula perhaps you should pay her a visit and offer her some friendly advice. Take a BCSS membership leaflet and a Brighton Branch programme too :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

It's very annoying for you David, that you have been sold a damaged and incorrectly named plant; I suppose at least you can only learn from the experience. For comparison, here's a photo of my S. heinzii, part of a plant bought years ago from a (I hope!) reputable nurseryman. The main plant died a couple of years back and I managed to save just this small piece.
IMG_0295.JPG
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias