Aloe pillansii - again

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David_K
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Re: Aloe pillansii - again

Post by David_K »

Hi,
It's a Cambridge Varsity house 15ft wide by 25ft long. I don't think the original purchase price is very relevant to today as I had it put up in 1987, almost 30 years ago. You would need to look at the Cambridge Greenhouse website for contact details and then talk to them as they do not have price lists online.
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

What's the latest news on the lovely Aloe?
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Mike,

All quiet on the Aloe front at the moment, not the weather for shifting it anyway. Permission is being sought and no doubt like many Governmental departments the wheels grind exceeding slow.

Suzanne
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by daniel82 »

Beyond being a beautiful specimen I think it has conservation value too. Its a beauty and was wondering have you considered some publicity, such as something like the one show? Might give these institutions a bit of a kick up the proverbial, maybe even help find some way of funding a move? I for one would donate a couple of quid if it could help it on its way.
topsy
BCSS Trustee

Re: Aloe pillansii - again - FINALLY

Post by topsy »

Hi All,

Update on the fate of this Aloe. It is now at RBG Kew. Paul Rees, a student, a driver and two members of Border Force CITES were in attendance on Friday, arriving just after 10.00am and leaving around 2.30pm having finished and then had a good look round the greenhouses.

It really did take four people to lift the plant up the garden with rests on the way, so Tony and I definitely could not have moved the plant.

I hope it takes to its new home.

Suzanne Mace
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BrianMc »

Hoorah! and good luck to the Aloe.

I hope we get to see pics of it in its new home and hopefully of it enjoying itself in future years. (tu)
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

Strange that there should have been any CITES interest, it's only being moved from Sussex to Kew!! After seeing the Aloe and the size of the base the other week, I'm amazed anyone managed to move it. I hope it's being looked after in its new home.
Stuart
topsy
BCSS Trustee

Post by topsy »

Just ended on Ebay is a seedling A.pillansii which has sold for £206, in the Czech Republic. This seedling is under one foot tall!

Suzanne
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Ebay doesn't make sense sometimes but you couldn't really stick your one in the post even if you had ebayed it.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
topsy
BCSS Trustee

Post by topsy »

Hi Tina,

I think the price went as high as it did because of the rarity of the taxa, it is after all CITES , and very little seed is available and most probably brought into Europe illegally. The Botanical gardens in South Africa do have this plant but certainly when I was out there they were not flowering size and so no seed was available from captive plants. That situation must have changed by now however.

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

Suzanne