Ariocarpus to brighten the day

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
daniel82
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Ariocarpus to brighten the day

Post by daniel82 »

Mineral mixes wont address the problem with rot getting in through flowers. I lost a turbincarpus through rot setting in through the spent flower, I find it worse than root rot as there's no real chance to cut it out and save some of the plant. What I do now is once the flower is spent I gently pull on it each day until it comes away, so it leaves the plant undamaged, so far (fingers crossed) so good. If it doesn't come away easily I leave it another day.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

I must say after many years of growing, I have never come across a late flowering plant causing rot. Should I then remove any old flowers as suggested, or is this problem Ariocarpus only related. Thanks
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Eric Williams wrote:I must say after many years of growing, I have never come across a late flowering plant causing rot.
I have not experienced this aswell.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

It has definitely happened in my greenhouses a few times, at the old house I had high humidity/low light, the greenhouses received very little sun during winter so even with fans going 24/7 sometimes a spent flower would get nasty blue mould on.
Here's my Matucana madisonorum that survived after surgery but it will take years ( if ever) for it to recover these seem to be prone to cold/damp marks.
M madisonorum 1_09.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

This was from the collection of Jack Voase, it was a freebie as it had rot from a flower.
It has won at the national but I doubt it will ever win again now it's quite a slow grower.
jack voase A 8_11.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Tina, I think you have hit the nail on the head. It's probably the high humidity in Winter that caused the mould on the flower leading to rot. Rene Giesler, a wonderful grower has always advocated a hygrometer in the green house to check humidity levels. Indeed, he also would open windows and door in Winter ( when weather was suitable) to reduce any high humidity conditions. Cheers
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

Has anyone tried using a dehumidifier in their greenhouse? It's standard practice for growers of late flowering chrysanthemums and of perpetual flowering carnations.

Steven
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

I use one, which is on permanently for my stamp collections (not in greenhouse), amazing how much water it collects.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Yes, I have a dehumidifier in one of my greenhouses. I bought it as I grow Asclepiads and found that they suffered with black rot and other fungal diseases very easily during the cool moist months. It has certainly improved things. I run it 24hrs a day from about the end of September till the beginning of April. The cost is offset somewhat by the fact that it expels warm air and cuts down on the heating bill.
It extracts around 5 litres of water :eek: during a 24hour period in a 8 x 6 glass greenhouse that is insulated with polycarbonate in the winter to cut down on the condensation.
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Faelle
Re potting mix I don't think they are really that fussy, mine are in JI no2 with cat litter normally, no special recipe.

I really don't find them hard to grow, I have more of a problem if they are received as an unpotted plant & I have to get them to rooted, it can take more than a year. A friend recommends placing them unpotted in a pot & only pot them up when you can see roots developing, he has a cactus business so should know what he is talking about BUT I tend to just pop them in cat litter or pumice until they are rooted then the next year in the summer when they are in full growth I would pot them in soil mix.
In the summer established plants can easily sit in water for a while as I often have them in trays.

If you are growing your plants under grow lights then you may need to think about watering thembut as you have repotted them it might be better to keep them cooler & not put them under lights as you could dry them out a lot.
A few more from November
ariocarpus F 11_16.jpg
ariocarpus e 11_16.jpg
ario confusus A 11_16.jpg
ariocarpus G 11_16.jpg
ariocarpus c 11_16.jpg
Tina

Bucks, UK