cactus world

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
mary44
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: cactus world

Post by mary44 »

Mine still has to arrive, an EX postcode here surprisingly too. Hopefully tomorrow.
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

Tony R wrote: But reached me safely today - thanks to all (tu) (tu)
I look forward to reading it when I get (quickly) bored by festivities on Christmas Day or Boxing Day :wink:

Best wishes,
Glad to hear that snail mail finally got to you. Happy reading
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Mine came a couple of days ago, I must be near the top of the list, even though my postcode is SK. The National pictures were really interesting to see, it made up for what you might have missed.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Got mine yesterday (tu)

All good, but wasn't there meant to be a sequel to the 'Growing Cacti with Hydroponics' article in the previous issue?

I was looking forward to that
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

gerald wrote:Got mine yesterday (tu)

All good, but wasn't there meant to be a sequel to the 'Growing Cacti with Hydroponics' article in the previous issue?

I was looking forward to that
Hopefully there will be a further 2 parts to this series but as the author has had some personal difficulties due to recent flooding I have not received all the material from him. As soon as I have it, it will be published.

Al
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by cactusrogerUK »

Seeing as this edition has its own thread, maybe someone can shed a bit of light on Al Laius's page, where he suggests PRICK is the first UK cactus shop. I have been in correspondence with him referring to my memory of a cactus shop in Baker Street, London, near Madame Tussaud's, in the late 1950s, or early 1960s. I recall prices were high (for a young teenager with limited pocket money). They had the first "woolly" cacti that I had ever seen - probably Espostoa nana or similar. Can anyone else remember this place? if so, post here or direct to Al, which may save him the job of asking in the March edition.

I think the mag is superbly produced these days!! :grin:

Happy Christmas ..... I have two home produced Epiphyllums about to flower - stupid things!! :lol:
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Keith L »

There use to be one in the old town in Hastings - certainly in 1963 when I visited it on a family trip to the town and my Mother found it whilst looking at the shops. The owner was very keen for me to buy an Opuntia articulatus which he said was very rare and choice which perhaps it was in those days. I can remember saying that I though it was half dead - and it might have been!

It was in the area swept away for the new road driven through there later that decade. I've asked people before who it was without success and they didn't believe it was Bill Stevens who had a nursery at a later date in Westfield a few miles inland.

Surely there will be someone who can cast some light on it!

Keith
uzbeck
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by uzbeck »

My other half tolerates my cacti obsession says she likes the cover photograph for the latest issue. She says it looks like a teddy bear has dived head first into a cactus!
I can't really argue with that.
Merry Christmas to all.
Sheila
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Sheila »

Hi,

I can remember visiting the cactus shop which cactusRogerUK refers to on Baker Street as a child. It would probably have been in the early 1960s, during a holiday in London, following a visit to the Planetarium. I remember it as a florist, with an extensive display of cacti and I bought one plant, which I still have today.

Best wishes,
Sheila
Editor - Cactus and Succulent Review
https://www.cactusandsucculentreview.org.uk
Born in Essex – growing in the world
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

A thoroughly enjoyable CactusWorld, especially the National coverage and 'In the Greenhouse', Brian sounds like a lovely chap and an asset to Sheffield branch.
On the subject of cactus shops, Dudley, our branch chairman, remembers the shop near Baker Street, which he visited as a schoolboy, I think in the late 1950s, he also mentioned that prices were very high.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias