cactus world

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Re: cactus world

Post by Al Laius »

Mine only arrived this morning! Still glad it came before Christmas.

And while I'm here - a very happy Christmas everyone and good growing for 2017

Al
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

Tony R wrote:Hopefully, it will come tomorrow, down in the South of England!? :cry:
As the mailing database sent to the mailing house is pre sorted into postcode sequence to get better terms from Royal Mail the wider geographical area should not play any part in when it arrives. In fact Tony as your postcode starts DA yours should be at the front of the shipments, well ahead of mine and Tina's which start MK. The trouble is the relative efficiency (Or not) of the local sorting offices.

It sounds as if most are now hitting the doormats so happy reading over Xmas to you all.
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Mine arrived yesterday and I've only just opened it today. Seems to be a good mix of articles. To echo previous comments the national show article is interesting and it's good to get some extra information about the entries. Although I don't currently have any Conophytum I enjoyed Terry Smale's article explaining how he prepared his plants and brought them into growth early.

It's good to see Brian Scott featured in the 'In My Greenhouse' section. He is a really nice guy with a lot of knowledge to share. Whilst I was still new to Sheffield branch he helped to answer all my questions and has gifted myself and others many plants raised from seed. Over the years he has helped to raise funds for the branch supplying plants for our sales table at fundraising events, our branch show and our annual bring and buy auction. Not forgetting the seed that he harvests and cleans each year as mentioned in the article. Hopefully many more new members will benefit from his enthusiasm and knowledge here at Sheffield.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

David_K wrote:
Tony R wrote:Hopefully, it will come tomorrow, down in the South of England!? :cry:
As the mailing database sent to the mailing house is pre sorted into postcode sequence to get better terms from Royal Mail the wider geographical area should not play any part in when it arrives. In fact Tony as your postcode starts DA yours should be at the front of the shipments, well ahead of mine and Tina's which start MK. The trouble is the relative efficiency (Or not) of the local sorting offices.

It sounds as if most are now hitting the doormats so happy reading over Xmas to you all.
Perhaps it's on its way to DAr es Salaam, then? :wink:
Not yesterday either, but there is always today, or tomorrow, to get me my Christmas read.
Our local Sorting Office (Dartford) is excellent, but these sort of mailings often end up first in the Royal Mail Medway Distribution Centre - I must say no more about the latter!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jfabiao »

Received mine yesterday, and PT is towards the far end of the line of postcodes... ;)
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

matchat wrote:It's good to see Brian Scott featured in the 'In My Greenhouse' section. He is a really nice guy with a lot of knowledge to share. Whilst I was still new to Sheffield branch he helped to answer all my questions and has gifted myself and others many plants raised from seed. Over the years he has helped to raise funds for the branch supplying plants for our sales table at fundraising events, our branch show and our annual bring and buy auction. Not forgetting the seed that he harvests and cleans each year as mentioned in the article. Hopefully many more new members will benefit from his enthusiasm and knowledge here at Sheffield.
Brian is an accomplished grower as well as a great source of freely given advice, and great source of freely given plants. He produces Astrophytum asterias's quicker than I can grow mustard and cress. The same goes for Turbinicarpus. He has a trick that always works with the judges at our Annual Show to get him loads of first prize cards. He puts in superbly grown plants. Works every time.
Mat mentions our branch auction. The smaller boxes shown went for £5 or £6 each, the larger one for £11. A fair selection of Astrophytum, Ariocarpus and Turbinicarpus, as well as the rest. Brian produced about a dozen such boxes (correct me if I've underestimated, Mat), all grown by him from seed. They certainly boost the auction takings - brings a smile to the branch treasurer
IMG_7417.JPG
IMG_7418.JPG
IMG_7419.JPG
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

Tony R wrote:Not yesterday either, but there is always today, or tomorrow, to get me my Christmas read.
Our local Sorting Office (Dartford) is excellent, but these sort of mailings often end up first in the Royal Mail Medway Distribution Centre - I must say no more about the latter!
But reached me safely today - thanks to all (tu) (tu)
I look forward to reading it when I get (quickly) bored by festivities on Christmas Day or Boxing Day :wink:

Best wishes,
Tony Roberts
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by FaeLLe »

Got mine by post today such a great cover picture :)
Does anyone know how we can submit articles for consideration?
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

FaeLLe wrote:Got mine by post today such a great cover picture :)
Guidelines on the BCSS website here:
http://www.society.bcss.org.uk/index.ph ... lines.html
Tony Roberts
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

FaeLLe wrote:Got mine by post today such a great cover picture :)
Please send any material directly to me at editor@bcss.org.uk or see details inside the journal front cover. Feel free to email me beforehand to discuss and chat about any possible submissions. Look forward to hearing from you.

Al