BCSS Seeds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: BCSS Seeds

Post by AnTTun »

Sadly, no thanks from me. Second year in a row, overseas members (or its just me) were forgotten. Last year I've (re)acted on time, this year I was late. Doesn't feel right but guys please, could we improve this part next year?
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

I have noticed the seed list is not published online yet. Can't imagine why. I can imagine overseas members would like to have the same chances or ordering seeds as any other UK member, but now have to wait a few days longer for the list to arrive via regular post to even be able to make an order.
mary44
BCSS Member

Post by mary44 »

AnTTun wrote:Sadly, no thanks from me. Second year in a row, overseas members (or its just me) were forgotten. Last year I've (re)acted on time, this year I was late. Doesn't feel right but guys please, could we improve this part next year?
I think by the sound of it this is out of the control of the society. Even within the U.K with journals all posted on the same day some will arrive days ahead of others without any real explanation other than blaming the postal service.

Mine did not arrive until Christmas Eve and despite returning my seed order the same day I ended up with substitutes. Last year I was one of the early ones to receive and reply and had everything I asked for. That's the way it goes sometimes. I will enjoy growing my seeds anyway and appreciate all the hard effort that goes into providing us with seeds at a reasonable price.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

One advantage with Internet posting, everybody gets it in "real time" wherever in the world they are. Most commercial seed lists have now gone to "print your own" rather than using the post to distribute them, plus Pay Pal for instant payment. No reason both Internet publication and enclosure with the Journal cannot be used, with the list being posted on the Internet as soon as the journal is sent out by the printers.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

One problem of course is that the Society does not have a "members only" section of the website at the present time that could be used to publish the list. I imagine that the seed distributors at this time of year have enough work to do without fending off all of the potential orders from non-members trying to buy seeds a lot more cheaply than from Mesa Garden. I know that the Dutch society sells seeds to non-members but for the BCSS it is a benefit of membership. And of course an on-line publication of the list would still not be fair to every member because surprise, surprise, there are still people who do not use the internet.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

You will never be fair to all Terry since there are probably far more overseas members who don't get their journals until later than those members in the UK without computers, as well as UK members who receive their Journal much later than others. Publishing the seed list online at the same time the Journal is posted containing it would be the fairest way to give all an equal chance.

People without online facilities are becoming much rarer, since many who don't have computers now use smartphones linked to the Internet anyway. Probably a members only section on this Forum would be the best place to publish the seed list. No doubt it has to be sent to the printers in electronic form anyway, so would be simple to copy online?
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Terry S. wrote:I know that the Dutch society sells seeds to non-members but for the BCSS it is a benefit of membership.
Members get served first. So there is still that benefit. Seems fair to me.
Terry S. wrote:And of course an on-line publication of the list would still not be fair to every member because surprise, surprise, there are still people who do not use the internet.
They can still use the paper order list, if they want. Why would one option exclude the other? Or maybe they can phone their order in to be able to order instantly too?
DaveW wrote:Publishing the seed list online at the same time the Journal is posted containing it would be the fairest way to give all an equal chance.
Indeed. And it might persua overseas people to become a member if they have a fair chance ordering seeds.
GSV3MiaC2
Registered Guest

Post by GSV3MiaC2 »

I joined right at the end of December, but I have not received the 4Q journal (so I guess I probably won't?) nor ha any sight of the seed list. IS there some way to get access to it (along with an order form) on-line, or should I just hold my breath until December 2017 :?:
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Annoys me that somebody who is not prepared to support the society with the few pounds that membership costs can expect to have the benefit of participation in the seeds offer - and by doing so could deprive paid up members of the seeds that they wanted.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Peter wrote:Annoys me that somebody who is not prepared to support the society with the few pounds that membership costs can expect to have the benefit of participation in the seeds offer - and by doing so could deprive paid up members of the seeds that they wanted.
That is why with Succulenta members get first choice and stand first in line. That is the benefit for members, next to receiving the journal. When members are done, others can have their chance. Good for all, as the society benefits from more seed selling this way to non-members too. I know a lot of Chinese members joined Succulenta mainly for the annual seed list, so also some additional member fees there.

What is there not to like for all parties involved?