Mammillaria aureilanata

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Mammillaria aureilanata

Post by FaeLLe »

Hello,

Does anyone grow Mammillaria aureilanata? I managed to buy this one off our usual auction site and was told that this plant is a really old species.

Would appreciate some cultivation tips and potting media guidance as there is hardly any information available on the internet on this plant.

Thanks as always!
MA.jpg
MA2.jpg
MA3.jpg
Sylv
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Re: Mammillaria aureilanata

Post by Sylv »

Hi,nice plant,here is the cultivation tips from cactus art :-

Cultivation: It is a rapid growing species . Water regularly in summer, but do not overwater (Rot prone) It will need a pot with sufficient depth to allow the tap root. with good drainage and a very porous potting media, keep dry in winter. Feed with a high potassium fertilizer in summer. It is quite frost resistant if kept dry (hardy to -5° C) Outside full sun or afternoon shade, inside needs bright light, and some direct sun.

Sylv.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Sylv wrote:Hi,nice plant,here is the cultivation tips from cactus art :-

Cultivation: It is a rapid growing species . Water regularly in summer, but do not overwater (Rot prone) It will need a pot with sufficient depth to allow the tap root. with good drainage and a very porous potting media, keep dry in winter. Feed with a high potassium fertilizer in summer. It is quite frost resistant if kept dry (hardy to -5° C) Outside full sun or afternoon shade, inside needs bright light, and some direct sun.

Sylv.
Thanks for this. There is conflicting information on growth rate, some other sources I found said it is really slow growing... I am wondering if it needs to go in pure mineral mix like pumice and cat litter or just a highly gritty mix.
Sheila
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Sheila »

Hi,

Tony Roberts included M aureilanata in his recent article on small Mammillarias in the December issue of the Essex Succulent Review. Available to download from http://www.essexsucculentreview.org.uk I note that your Branch is shown as Dartford so I expect you know Tony of course.

Best wishes,
Sheila
Editor - Cactus and Succulent Review
https://www.cactusandsucculentreview.org.uk
Born in Essex – growing in the world
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

The form that gave M. aureilanata (= golden wool) it's name which was around in the 1960's-70's now seems to have dissapeared from general cultivation, with the white form alba usually only available in the trade.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MAMMIL ... lanata.htm

The original golden form:-

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... 74a28a.jpg

http://areola.x3.hu/images/Mammillaria/ ... nata_1.jpg

Anybody still got the golden form?
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

I grew the form with white wool for many years. I've just checked my records - when I bought it in 1992 it was in a 3" pot; last year, when it departed for that great greenhouse in the sky, it was in a 4" pot, so certainly not a fast grower! It's a pretty plant, my advice would be to use a very gritty compost and be very cautious with watering.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Thanks Sheena the article was very helpful! Some of the tips mentioned such as removal of the older outer growth were particularly helpful. I am an ESR reader as well thanks to your promotion on this forum, great magazine!

Sharing some additional pictures of the plant along with my hand for scale.
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (85.56 KiB) Viewed 2966 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (87.07 KiB) Viewed 2966 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (85.56 KiB) Viewed 2966 times
Attachments
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (78.04 KiB) Viewed 2966 times
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

That is an impressive root system, I bet you can not wait to see it flowering.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

This was one of the earliest cacti I had and was the golden form. Despite my novice ways then I did keep it for a few years. It certainly was not a fast grower.

The root gives a clue that it doesn't need too much water.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Keith H wrote:That is an impressive root system, I bet you can not wait to see it flowering.
Interestingly it has 4 flower buds already on the plant though I dont think they will flower till spring now :)