Mammillaria crinita fa

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ajm389
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Mammillaria crinita fa

Post by ajm389 »

Might sound like a daft question
I have 2 specimens of M.crinita and M.crinita fa but what does the fa stand for.

Thanks

ajm389 (A J Morris)
Sylv
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Mammillaria crinita fa

Post by Sylv »

Hi,I think this means forma,meaning it's a different form of.I could be totaly wrong though.See what the people in the know say :)

Sylv.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

Not sure that I'm "in the know" but, yes "fa", or more commonly just "f", normally refers to a form of the species, so we might expect it to look a little different. In practice, if the differences are noted as forms then they are usually very subtle so it probably doesn't mean much,

Do your plants look different, if so enjoy it. If not, I don't think the "fa" is very useful to you.

David Lambie
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Yes, fa. is for forma, often written as f. or fma. as well.

M. crinita is one of those Mammillaria species that is highly variable, and as a result has spawned a myriad of other species names, most of which have been reduced by conservative botanists into the single species M. crinite without any thought of using subspecies. So rather than try to associate a particular form with one of the subsumed names, the attribute of forma is used. Spine numbers vary, as do their colours. Flower colours vary, from creamy white through yellow to red/purple. One constant is that one or more spines are hooked, and most specifically the species is said to lack a specific genetic marker known as the rpl16 intron (don't ask me what it is!!). Of course one wouldn't know to look at a plant, but apparently this lack defines this variable species.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
ajm389
BCSS Member

Post by ajm389 »

Thanks all.

BTW Chris
How is it possible to ask questions on the Mammsoc Forum as I cannot see any indication anywhere to be able to do so.

Cheers

Anthony (ajm389)

I am Anthony 1 on the Mammsoc Forum
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Like any forum, just scroll down to the right sub-forum - in this case General Questions, or maybe Identification, and click on the link and when the new page loads, start a new topic.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
ajm389
BCSS Member

Post by ajm389 »

Thanks Chris

Cheers for now

Anthony