John Cox

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
StevenT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: John Cox

Post by StevenT »

Such extremely sad news. I will always remember John from the Cactus Explorers weekends - warm, genial, smiling and of course his great sense of humour - I will miss him lot. I'm glad that we have that great photo of him in CactusWorld to remind us all of his winning smile.

His researches into the society's history are invaluable, not least the video recordings he made in the 1990s of his conversations with Michael Roan and with Gordon Rowley. His special style and way of gently guiding the conversation resulted in the gathering of a lot of information that might otherwise have been missed.

Steven
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG (23.63 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Cropped from original picture posted by Lithos (hope he doesn't mind)as I couldn't find any pictures of John
Last edited by Chris in Leeds on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Many thanks Chris for posting the picture of John, for the life of me I could not put a face to the name.
Only met John 3 times, 2 of which were at the North West cactus mart, he was a warm friendly person with whom it was a pleasure to chat with.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Yes thanks Chris. I am another who has a job putting names to faces, although I recognise both. I knew I must have seen him regularly at The Cactus Explorers Weekend from the lists of participants, but could not put a face to the name.

He will certainly be missed at the Exporters this years.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.