Newbie Succulent Parent!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Embrace
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Newbie Succulent Parent!

Post by Embrace »

Hello all,

Newbie succulent owner here! Was given two plants as part of secret santa in small glass jars and I have two larger plants that I've had for a few months. I've attached a picture to this post showing you my succulents!

I purchased some bigger plastic pots to pot the smaller plants and have also picked up some JI no2 and Tesco Cat Litter to repot them. Is a 50% JI 50% Cat litter mix advisable? And is that by weight, or volume?

Sorry for the basic questions!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Newbie Succulent Parent!

Post by habanerocat »

No sign of any picture....

Most cacti and other succulents are dormant this time of year so most people wait until spring. No problem re-potting now if your mixture is completely dry.

Approximately 50/50 compost and grit is what most people use, but cat litter is expensive and I expect most people use 5-10% cat litter with the rest made up of horticultural grit. Some people use perlite to open up the mixture, but not me. It's personal choice and your mixture may depend on where the plants are located.

Give your plants a thorough inspection for pests and diseases when they are out of the pots. Start as you mean to go on.....
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I use 40:40:20 JI, cat litter, and grit. The grit is only there for a little weight, otherwise the dry mix moves about and the pots blow over. That's by volume, 40% cat litter by weight would be a lot of cat litter!

I won't try to give any growing tips until I see the picture. From a picture, I'm sure you will get names and good advice on how to treat them.
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum, Embrace. I can't wait to see the pictures!
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Embrace
Registered Guest

Post by Embrace »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Not sure what happened to the photo... let's try again:
http://imgur.com/Yy2QX4K
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Embrace wrote: Not sure what happened to the photo... let's try again:
Better to attach picture to post rather than relying on external link but for some reason attachments option is not working when I tried to upload a copy of youyr pucture. I have to admit that I have a plant in one of those glass jars that I rescued from Tesco, I was going to free it from the jar and the moss but t does seem happy in its prison. Hope you got the correct pink lightweight cat litter as Tesco sell several varieties and only one is suitable for soil mixes
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

Embrace wrote:Thank you all for the warm welcome! Not sure what happened to the photo...
I think you need a few text only posts before you can post a photo.
I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere but no idea where to look
Bill

Post by Bill »

No restriction on adding images.

How to:
Just below the new post box select "Attachments".
Just below the new post box select "Attachments".
Then select "Add Files", this will bring upo adialogue box where you can browse to the files on your computer, select one or more files and then "Open"
Then select "Add Files", this will bring upo adialogue box where you can browse to the files on your computer, select one or more files and then "Open"
pic2.JPG (33.64 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Add any comments or plant name, then select "Place Inline" for each image. then submit your post.
Add any comments or plant name, then select "Place Inline" for each image. then submit your post.
Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Bill

The "Place Inline" option is not there for me with jpg files!

I have just found it will accept a png file of a screenshot to show missing option with jpg. Also below status a green bar is shown for a while (presumably the upload) but it then disappears for jpg files

no inline option.PNG
Last edited by Jim_Mercer on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Jim_Mercer wrote:The "Place Inline" option is not there for me!
Is the 'delete file' button there after you've uploaded a file? Can you upload any picture file?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia