Daphne Pritchard

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
topsy
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Daphne Pritchard

Post by topsy »

I have just received our copy of Euphorbia World and learned of the death last November of Daphne Pritchard.

Daphne, with her late husband Albert, having moved from Bracknell to Penketh in 1977, founded the Warrington branch of the Cactus & Succulent Society of Great Britain, which was amalgamated with the National Cactus & Succulent Society in 1982, Daphne was Secretary of the branch until 1988. She also undertook the packaging and distribution of seeds for the CSSGB and for the BCSS from 1983-1995.

Daphne was the British Representative for E.L.K. for many years. She was also elected a member of the Euphorbia Section of the I.O.S. and attended many of their meetings becoming involved in several conservation projects which culminated in Albert and Daphne raising enough money to have the type locality of Euphorbia obesa appropriately fenced to preserve it.

Daphne was awarded the BCSS Robert Holt Meritorious Award in 2006 for her work within the cactus & succulent hobby.

Since Albert's death Daphne has been living back in Berkshire to be near her daughter. A keen ballroom dancer, Daphne taught many including Albert, which was how they met. It kept her fit both physically and mentally and so her sudden death was unexpected.

Suzanne Mace
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Daphne Pritchard

Post by AnTTun »

I didn't have an honor of meeting her, but will say a prayer for her.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Daphne Pritchard

Post by Peter »

Daphne and Albert were stalwarts of the now defunct Warrington branch and for many years were vital to it's existence. Mrs T and I had the great pleasure of dining with them and of course, had many discussions about our plants and their several trips to South Africa.

They contributed greatly to our hobby especially with regard to promoting the other succulents, particularly Euphorbias, two people who were amongst the oft little known but major contributors to the hobby.

Daphne was devastated to lose Albert. I recall his dry wit and her devotion during his illness.

RIP Daphne