Plastic Pots

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jerryb23
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORWICH
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Plastic Pots

Post by jerryb23 »

Tina (or for anyone else who needs to know)

You can get full details of the pot sizes and depth from downloading their brochure (page 65) - though they're very helpful on the phone. You'll also notice that they do everything else garden related as well - eg labels at very reasonable prices.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I never thought that I would be saying this but I agree with DaveW; he is absolutely correct in pointing out the implications of the perched water table and putting any drainage material into pots. Growers do not like to accept the conclusions because they are counter-intuitive, but taller pots with just some form of mesh to prevent loss of compost through the drainage holes does ensure that moisture is kept away from the base of the plants.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

There is a second factor at play that can partly explain why our intuition and reality are at odds. Discussions of perched water table usually assume all other things being equal, not least root penetration. If you were doing some experiments to look into it you might use pots of just soil. But what we plant in those pots might be affected by something other than just the perched water table effect. If I transplant a plant that's been grown in a 5" deep pot into a 6" deep pot it'll probably do fine - the new root growth will quickly fill that fresh soil. If I transfer one from a 5" half pot into a 6" deep pot it might not be too happy as it will take much longer for new roots to fill the soil meaning there'll be more wet soil for longer. Our experience of success or failure with shallow and deep pots might not contradict that of others.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Andyh
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Andyh »

Hi, Im also interested is seeing updated prices. Smaller sizes currently not available on Marties website. Andy
ttheocar
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by ttheocar »

DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Our plants in pots are really Bonsai'd, as often are succulents in nature growing in rocky hollows. This BBC article illustrates this. Therefore it is often a choice as to whether you wish to restrict their growth in small pots, or try to provide more optimised growing conditions, preferably in beds or open ground, the choice is yours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/18612661

It's dangerous ever agreeing with me Terry, you could get "Drummed out of the Brownies" for doing so. :grin:
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

That's an interesting comment, Dave, because I have often wondered why we think pampering cacti is more valid than letting them react to sometimes stressful conditions. I am reminded that when we see pics of cacti in habitat, their appearance has often very little correlation with the pics of cultivated plants. What is regarded as "optimised" conditions is a very subjective judgement.