Mesemb Study Group Bulletin Jan/Feb 2017

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mintylemonade
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Mesemb Study Group Bulletin Jan/Feb 2017

Post by Mintylemonade »

Andy thats terrible that your Haworthia journal was missing, hope they get a replacement to you soon!

Im with Liz , and would appreciate a pdf or email only publication. At least the option would be nice! Personally it would be much easier to read,reference, and would arrive rather quickly. It seems I'll be waiting a few weeks for the most recent bulletin to arrive, owell.
mary44
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by mary44 »

I love my Mesemb Study Group bulletin just the way it is and would hate to see it reduced to an email only publication. There is nothing nicer than curling up with the latest bulletin and having a good read, something that is not possible staring at a computer / tablet screen. I do that enough of the time without wanting to do it for pleasure. OK you can print it out but the quality and the feel is quite different.

Mine arrived yesterday :)
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi All,

So you want your journals sent by email.

As has already been said not everyone has email or a computer. And who is going to prepare the journal for distribution in this format? What all our groups and the main Society needs are more volunteers, not simply people to come up with ideas.

Will there ever be a time when everyone is able to receive email, I suspect not and that means that a paper journal would still have to be produced for those few and the cost of doing so would escalate.

Receiving journals electronically depends on connections being reliable and I am afraid that where I live they are not and they are so, so, so slow. Bill Hildyard as we learned yesterday will not be in communication for several days thanks to Doris and BT not thinking him a very urgent case nor perhaps a valued customer. I was promised a super duper upgrade some six months ago, I am still waiting and if I bother to look at the completion date for my order it always states the current day!

So the MSG will for the foreseeable future, be producing its publication in the time honoured way.

Regards, Suzanne Mace
Mesemb Study Group
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Rob wrote:Both journals arrived here today too. So a tie!

My copy of haworthiad was in a second royal mail plastic envelope as the paper one had torn in the post, fortunately the journal was undamaged inside.

I am one of those who would always prefer a proper paper journal to read, and would consider unsubscribing if only a pdf was offered.
Are the journals smaller than the envelopes they are sent in? If they are that is probably why the envelopes are being ripped. The contents slide about inside the envelope and eventually rip it.

I used to get a lot of books from the USA and sellers would be loath to fill the envelopes. This was the worst one I ever got, and it got like that because the book could slide around inside. IIRC the book was over £100.
envelope.jpg
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo »

Rob wrote:My copy of haworthiad was in a second royal mail plastic envelope as the paper one had torn in the post, fortunately the journal was undamaged inside.
My wife's Haworthiad arrived this morning in exactly the same condition, envelope completely open along one of the long sides then placed inside the Royal Mail plastic envelope with printed apology. The Haworthiad was still in the envelope although we don't know if there is supposed to be anything else in there. This seems a bit bizarre that at least 3 recipients received damaged copies. I suspect that the envelope is not robust enough for the smaller but more rigid bulletin.

For the record my wife prefers to stick with the printed version.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

On the seed list I can find Lithops aucampiae 'Karuman Form' (3196). Is the form really 'Karuman Form', or is it 'Kuruman Form'? The latter seems more plausible.
ize89
BCSS Member
Branch: LOWESTOFT

Post by ize89 »

I am one for saving the trees!

On that note, I believe the majority dislikes hard work. Therefore, to save a lot of time and effort, a one time quick and easy process of uploading a PDF to the website for members to download would make life tremendously easier for both sides. Moreover, for those who don't have computers or dislike the tech world, they can opt to receive a printed version; do not get me wrong it is lovely to have copies of bulletins and so forth to add to the book shelf.

This way I think is much more efficient and effective. However, it is just a suggestion and I am not imposing anything. But, I still do believe that orders must be placed in the same way, that we must print and post.

BCSS 51490
jhb
BCSS Member

Post by jhb »

Personally I love the printed version of the MSG bulletin & would be sad to see it in email version. There's nothing like thumbing through the pages to see what it contains each time. I'm no technophobe but with all manner of things being confined to the Internet & email it is far more personal to receive hand delivered post.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Aiko,

Well spotted, it should be Kuruman not Karuman, apologies.

Suzanne
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

I just want to say the postman brought me little surprise this morning - that was quick!

And also to say thanks so much for all the effort that is put into this by you (and no doubt a worthy team!) It is very much appreciated.

Best wishes
Alan