Age of cacti

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
D^L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: Age of cacti

Post by D^L »

Thanks for the replies.

The US journal article Tony found is interesting. It lists fossils from rat-pack middens that extend back about 20,000 years but follows this with:-
"With the distribution data, and the well preserved fossils it is also evident that many of the species we know today have not changed within the last 30-50 thousand years and quite possibly have not changed in the last million years!"
So even in 1981 this author is not a fan of the short date.

Thanks for the Weniger reference, Karl, as you say frustrating that he is confident that "Most agree..." but doesn't offer any evidence. I'm sure there are other references I don't think I've ever read that book.

Cheers
David
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: Age of cacti

Post by D^L »

Just for reference:- I found the 10,000 year "age of cacti" reference.
Marshall and Bock, "Cactaceae", 1941, Abbey Garden Press Pasadena, p1 para 2.
"The family Cactaceae is of recent origin as plant families go, being possibly as young as ten thousand years."
Unclear where they get this view from. Doesn't make it any more believable but at least found where I had read it!
Cheers
David Lambie Bristol UK