Dark green plants

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CORNWALL

Dark green plants

Post by Roger Mann »

When I visit Supermarkets many have a wide selection of plants including succulents. However I notice that all the plants whatever they are all have very Dark Green leaves stems the lot. Yes I mean extremely Dark Green plants
Question , what are they being fed with ? I feed mine with Epson Salts (magnesium Salts) and Miracle grow and have used a drop or two of vinegar. I do not suffer with yellow plants but they are not Dark green.
So what's going on ? What secret are the growers up to? you may not want dark green plants but how do they achieve :eek: :eek: this?
Roger Mann
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Dark green plants

Post by Liz M »

They may have been kept in low light conditions and gone dark.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by ChrisR »

Doesn't that have exactly the opposite effect Liz? Usually plants grown in the dark etiolate with pale green growth.

(Spellcheck gave me titillate for etiolate :lol: )
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Could it be that they appear dark due to the lighting in the shop but would look more 'normal' in daylight?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by daniel82 »

As far as I'm aware most of these plants are grown in large greenhouse under a "soft" regime. In other words lots of fertiliser, water and warmth with not too bright conditions. They can produce saleable sized plants pretty fast that way, but they don't look much like the plants we grow under our harder conditions. I certainly notice on the odd occasion I pick up one of the garden centre plants that they have to do a lot of adapting to my conditions and they lose that slighty bloated over green look and start to produce the tighter more densely spined (usually cactus for me) natural look.
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

I have just seen one of those blue Phalanopsis and the leaves were really dark green. So the growers must be watering with a blue dye making the flowers blue and everything else dark green.
Acid John
Bosenoge
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Bosenoge »

I thik something like this happened to me. I bought a cactus from a big hardware store and first it looked like this:

Firstly i schorched it into something like this:

And couple of moths later, after stading mostly in shade it looks like this:

Can someone identify it for me? First I thought it was some Gymno, but now Im not so sure...
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

Bosenoge wrote:.............

Can someone identify it for me? First I thought it was some Gymno, but now Im not so sure...

Yes it is some sort of Gymnocalycium and a fine looking one at that but which one I know not, sorry.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Perhaps G. schickendantzii.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by Roger Mann »

Thanks to everyone who has answered my question. Acid John I do agree with you that the growers are doing something to get a good looking plant quickly............but what ? To my mind the plants are drinking some enhancer. What would do this ????????? Thanks Roger. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.