Adeniums again

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Adeniums again

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, I have read a lot about Adeniums being grown under grow lights, LEDs, fluorescent tubes and other forms of artificial lights. Is it possible to cultivate thes plants in natural light and heat as per a glass house? Thanks
Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Adeniums again

Post by Ospreywatcher »

I don't know what would be required for raising from seed, however I have purchased two Adeniums in recent years which are growing quite happily if a little slowly. I keep them in a conservatory during the day if the temperature is warm enough then bring them into the house during winter evenings. I just try to give them as much natural light as possible without allowing them to get too cold. House temperature overnight is around 15c and very little watering at this time of year.
Into all sorts of exotic plants but with only having a conservatory I prefer to buy small young plants and miniature cacti.

My Flickr photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatc ... 070601017/
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks for that Osprey. just what I needed to know. I have just germinated a pot full of these plants, and as you say heat and light is required at this time. Thanks
Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest

Post by Ospreywatcher »

32529764033_6d7f3d64f5_z.jpg
32529764033_6d7f3d64f5_z.jpg (105.82 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Ok, I've been trying to build up the courage for some time and eventually took the plunge yesterday. Last years leaves on my arabicum were browning at the tips and I also thought the stems were looking slightly leggy so I took a sharp knife to it yesterday. Hope I don't regret it! I have actually been advised elsewhere to prune the stems by half again to encourage more growth in the caudex but I may just leave it for the time being.
Into all sorts of exotic plants but with only having a conservatory I prefer to buy small young plants and miniature cacti.

rongs
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rongs »

Is this the plant you repotted earlier?
As I said in another post I have an Adenium which appears to be a rooted cutting-no caudex- and there are leaf and flower buds developing on all the branches-about 12branches-and I wonder whether by cutting back your plant you will increase the vigour like my "cutting"?
Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest

Post by Ospreywatcher »

Yes, this is the repotted plant. According to Youtube videos I have been watching there should be more vigorous growth after pruning and if the stems were pruned further back the caudex would grow at a greater rate. I will post another photo after new leaves hopefully start to appear.

DragonFish66
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District

Post by DragonFish66 »

I got an adenium last year which doubled in size in the 3 months of the growing season just by been on a warm windowsill and been in a very fast draining mix i watered weekly and every other week used fertilizer, this year i have a load of seed to sow when it gets warmer, of what i've been told off people that grow them, the best temps are a constant 80f and kept in as bright a place as possible for germination and growing on, many use grow lights to start them off