Haworthia soc. Journal

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike P
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Haworthia soc. Journal

Post by Mike P »

Does anyone know if the Hawothia soc journal was posted out recently?
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Re: Haworthia soc. Journal

Post by Mike P »

If so is it posted from Birmingham? I received a torn and empty envelope today which says it came from the Birmingham Mail Centre reference 44101112 does anyone know if this was it?
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Tony R
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

I think so, MIke. Looks like a problem with sub-standard envelopes not liking the Royal Mail machinery.
Can you ring Bill Geddes, the Publications Distributor (phone number in previous Haworthiad) please, and he will send you a replacement copy.
Sorry.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Ok thanks Tony mystery solved.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

This is the second time that I have heard, here, that someone has received an empty envelope rather than an Haworthia journal. I am saying again. Why are these not going out by E-mail? For those who have E-mail it is so much easier. The society can reassure members that their E-mail addresses are not sold on to a third party, so no fear of unsolicited E-mails. It is speedier and should be much more reliable. It would also encourage others to receive stuff by E-mail.
One day, in the near future it is to be hoped, Cactus World will be sent out by E-mail. I have to admit, I would be more inclined to read it then.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

Hi Liz,
Thank you for your concern and question.
Yes and no.
One size does not fit all.
About one third of the HSoc membership do not use email or the internet.
Many members prefer a hard copy for their 'bedside reading' and reference (even I would not take an iPhone or iPad to bed with me).
My preference (still) is for both formats which I think was also the case the last time the BCSS members were surveyed.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Mike P wrote:If so is it posted from Birmingham? I received a torn and empty envelope today which says it came from the Birmingham Mail Centre reference 44101112 does anyone know if this was it?
You are not alone!

See: viewtopic.php?p=257324#p257322
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I a not arguing for one format only, simply that for those who wish to receive journals by E-mail it is a much simpler and quicker method. I am well aware, also, that many members do not have E-mail, the internet or a computer. That is their affair and for them the only option is a hard copy.
The fact remains that the Haworthia society are not getting a good service if their journals go astray, hence the suggestion of E-mailing.
Can some provision not be made for members to opt in or out of receiving journals by E-mail?
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

So I'm not the only one - I hope the post office workers enjoy the journals which have become separated from their envelopes!
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Mine arrived today in a plastic bag with details of how to report damage/make claim
scan0003.png
Envelope had band around it to keep it together, two edges completely ripped open and third edge about 75% ripped
scan0004.png
web-0974.jpg
web-0973.jpg
the journal was inside with a little bit of damage to one corner - bump/crease rather than the abrasion/rip to the envelope
scan0005.png
Last edited by Jim_Mercer on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.