Haworthia soc. Journal

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tony R
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Haworthia soc. Journal

Post by Tony R »

Thanks for the update Jim. It looks like there was a 'major mishap' at the Birmingham Mail Centre.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tony R wrote:It looks like there was a 'major mishap' at the Birmingham Mail Centre.
Nothing on the plastic bag to say where the original envelope was placed inside it so don't know where the damage was noticed by Royal Mail. The original envelope doesn't seem particularly flimsy but has significant creases on both sides that are in different places - one of them does match the slight crease in the journal.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Mine arrived yesterday, perfect condition, hopefully this was just an isolated case of things being chewed up in the mail.
Stuart
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

Stuart wrote:Mine arrived yesterday, perfect condition, hopefully this was just an isolated case of things being chewed up in the mail.Stuart
Thanks for the update, Stuart - it is good to know at least one person received it in one piece! (tu)
Tony Roberts
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Are the journals smaller than the envelopes they are sent in? If they are that is probably why the envelopes are being ripped. The contents slide about inside the envelope and eventually rip it.

I used to get a lot of books from the USA and sellers would be loath to fill the envelopes. This was the worst one I ever got, and it got like that because the book could slide around inside. IIRC the book was over £100.
envelope.jpg
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Sylvia »

Mine arrived exactly the same as yours Jim but the 'Journal' was fine.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Mine was ripped down two sides and scrunched up but the mag was fine. :eek:
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo »

My wife's also arrived today inside one of the Royal Mail plastic apology envelopes with the brown paper envelope completely open along one of the long sides. Fortunately the Haworthiad still inside and undamaged, we're assuming there isn't supposed to be anything else enclosed.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

purzo wrote: .... we're assuming there isn't supposed to be anything else enclosed.
Correct, there were no other enclosures this time.
I'm pleased you got it un-damaged. Sorry for the inconvenience. Yes, it looks like this particular batch of envelopes was not 'man for the job' and did not survive their treatment somewhere in the postal system.
Tony Roberts
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

When I send out documents from work I found that the best way to ensure that they are returned to me was to send a Stamped self addressed envelope to ensure a prompt reply. To my horror when some were returned to me the envelopes were generally rather ragged round the edges, dog eared and rather the worse for wear. I hate to discard unused envelopes but my clear conclusion was that the envelopes were not quite fit for purpose and I am ordering stronger ones. Cactus World always arrives is excellent condition - plastic wrapper of course & no doubt a little more expensive, perhaps not?