Re potting Arios

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re potting Arios

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, I need to re pot a few Ario. seedlings that are squeezing the sides of their pots. They are in 3inch pots at the moment. What would be the best next move,3 1/2 or 4 inch dia. I must say that last season they really moved a bit after putting them on top shelf next to the glass at Rene Giesler,s suggestion. Thanks.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Re potting Arios

Post by Cactus Kid »

The next size up and no more!

Mine seem to appreciate having their roots confined. I have tried putting several of them in a bowl to allow a bit more space more consistent soil moisture levels and temperature at the roots but they don't seem to appreciate it.
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

I agree that you want the smallest reasonable change but, if they are already filling 3" pots, a move to 3 and a half might be practically difficult. A quarter of an inch all round seems very small if the roots are filling the current pots. Cheers
David Lambie
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks both, and in my opinion you are both right. As DL says, could have a job moving to next size up. To be correct I am really potting on. Read years ago not to move on Arios until they have started to bulge the plastic pot sides. I think now is the time fora move. Thanks
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Smallest pot you can get the roots in is usually a good bet. Then give them plenty of time to settle in.
Cheshire, UK
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Iann. Cheers