BCSS Website - have your say

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: BCSS Website - have your say

Post by Bill »

Odd that, as you can mine worked, it was created in Gimp, not that it should make much difference.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Bill wrote:Odd that, as you can mine worked, it was created in Gimp, not that it should make much difference.
tif not gif
tif error.JPG
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Jim_Mercer wrote:
Bill wrote:Odd that, as you can mine worked, it was created in Gimp, not that it should make much difference.
tif not gif
tif error.JPG
It certainly would not load a file of that size, Jim - 14.1MB is 'much too large' !
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Bill

Post by Bill »

My apologies Jim.

The right file type which inst displaying despite being in the allowed list.:
Untitled.tif
Untitled.tif (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2426 times

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tony R wrote: It certainly would not load a file of that size, Jim - 14.1MB is 'much too large' !
Bill has shown that a small tif file will load but not display. My file had the pixel count reduced to my normal 1920 on longest side which produced a high quality jpg of about 1MB. Just changing the save option to tif resulted in the 14MB file as a result of the tif file not discarding data and applying compression. Uploading the 1MB file to Facebook results in a file that is about 100KB so more detail is lost to the higher compression used by that site. It is this compression/quality balance as well as pixel count that I would like the new site to address so that people can upload jpg files direct from their picture taking device with the forum software making a smaller file to store and display
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

Bill wrote:Like or thanks button is in the list, comment about mobile picture uploads noted.
Like buttons on forums are an awful idea, they work fine on things like Facebook where people only have their real life friends, colleagues, and family, or are sharing content widely without a care for what the impact of it is, but on forums where you're trying to build a long term community they only end up building cliques, discouraging newcomers, extending arguments, and building grudges. Consider this as an example, if someone criticised you personally as a moderator, and 50 people liked it, how would you be left feeling? It doesn't do well when trying to build community cohesion.

Just because the web has invented a new thing doesn't mean you have to have it, this is a prime example of something you shouldn't include just because it exists. Such functionality in a "like and share" form is okay on news stories on the front page for encouraging people to share an article to their Facebook page as a one way interaction where content being liked is controlled and not personal, but in forums? Like buttons in discussions are like a badge of honour for the biggest cesspits of low quality discussion on the internet - YouTube, Reddit, take your pick. For your own sanity as a forum moderator if nothing else, please listen to me on this one :lol:
Bill

Post by Bill »

Well I have to say I belong to 2 forums with thanks for the post buttons and 1 with a post rating button and and only one has a clique and that has nothing to do with the thanks/rating. All three are very active forums and have plenty of new posters and very little moderation issues apart from posts in the wrong place.

Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

I find the 'like botton' a very useful tool, when I find myself agreeing with posts be it a plant ID or a picture but dont want to clutter the thread with ' Yes I agree it is a XYZ' or 'Yes that is a very nice plant / flower / what ever', I have even replied to posts saying ' (tu) if we had a like button I would have pressed it'.
So it is a big (tu) for a like button here.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

It seems only men getting involved? I agree with AnthonyC. I can't post photos as I only have smart phone and IPad.i would like to be able to post directly to BCSS site from phone as per FB.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

I have to say I agree with Bill. But I would far rather have a simple button click expressing my approval of what he has said than to go through the hassle of typing and adding a new post which has nothing new to say, and clogs up the discussion thread. A forum is a means of debate. A debate with mere repetition of what's been said before is not constructive. And newcomers to the forum or the hobby would be encouraged surely, by a simple accumulation of like clicks on their posts.

And since I forgot to push send I find I am also in agreement with KeithH!