BCSS Website - have your say

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: BCSS Website - have your say

Post by Phil_SK »

Chris L wrote:Do any other branches use Wordpress already that I can look at?
When I was looking for ideas for how to do our branch site when it fell into my hands I looked at all the other branches' sites and Birmingham's was one of a few that stood out and I was tempted to use Wordpress. http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
I wouldn't think the final BCSS site would have that blog look and feel, though, and that was oneo f the things that put me off a bit.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Just a thought but to me the most important thing is that the forum opens and works well in a forum application such as Tapatalk on android. I rarely if ever use the website and find it much easier to use an app (this goes for all forums). So much so that outside of cacti I use the Talk Photography forum regularly which has its own dedicated app but I gave up using the Amateur Photography forum because it doesn't even work in Tapatalk. As I mostly keep up to date using either my tablet or phone it's much easier when using an app.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Chris L wrote:Will a Wordpress site allow images to be shown from a Photobucket account? All of the images shown on our branch site (Manchester) are shown this way, and there are a lot (1,000s).

Is it easier than Joomla to make pages? We'd need dozens creating.

Do any other branches use Wordpress already that I can look at? I've seen the Haworthia site.
I believe it will Chris there are various plug-ins that will allow external content to be displayed.

Child's play in comparison to Joomla.

Isle of Wight: http://www.iow.bcss.org.uk/

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Phil_SK wrote:
Chris L wrote:Do any other branches use Wordpress already that I can look at?
When I was looking for ideas for how to do our branch site when it fell into my hands I looked at all the other branches' sites and Birmingham's was one of a few that stood out and I was tempted to use Wordpress. http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
I wouldn't think the final BCSS site would have that blog look and feel, though, and that was oneo f the things that put me off a bit.
Something I have learnt since doing the Haworthia Site, is that blog or normal website is a function of the theme you use, use the right one and you can have a normal static front page. i am now trying to work out how to rewrite the HawSoc theme to make it static.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Post by Bill »

matchat wrote:Just a thought but to me the most important thing is that the forum opens and works well in a forum application such as Tapatalk on android. I rarely if ever use the website and find it much easier to use an app (this goes for all forums). So much so that outside of cacti I use the Talk Photography forum regularly which has its own dedicated app but I gave up using the Amateur Photography forum because it doesn't even work in Tapatalk. As I mostly keep up to date using either my tablet or phone it's much easier when using an app.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
The new site will be fully responsive so shouldn't need Tapatalk, that said if there is no reason not to leave that functionality then we will.

Bill

AntonyC
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by AntonyC »

Just a couple of things that I would see on the forum

A 'like ' button. I know it's been discussed before and it got shouted down before as being to Facebook like but I still think there's a place for it. If you don't like the button don't use it.

Secondly I would like to be able to upload photos direct from my phone and not have to go through the tedious process of having to resize them and resave them before posting ( this is why i dont post very often) . It would be nice to go into my greenhouse,take a pic and post it straight away instead of taking the pic then carrying on doing something else then forgetting about it.

Apart from those 2 points I like the forum. It's easy enough to use.

Just my thoughts

Antony
Growing anything I can keep alive :-)
Birmingham branch member
Bill

Post by Bill »

Like or thanks button is in the list, comment about mobile picture uploads noted.

Bill

Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Bill wrote: comment about mobile picture uploads noted
Picture handling from all devices could be improved, current forum software doesn't like all the pixels that many cameras/phones/tablets can produce. Ideally it should be possible to upload any photograph using a standard jpg, png or tif format and possibly dng but not manufactures own raw formats. I would hope that the image stored for display would not have quite as much compression applied that Facebook uses
Bill

Post by Bill »

You can already upload gif and png as well as the usual jpeg, not sure about DNG as cant create one. As for file size well hopefully we will have a decent image resizer, because websites don't need all the pixels that modern cameras generate all large files do is use storage space and slow site performance.
1 haw.gif
1 haw.gif (138.34 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
1 haw.png
1 haw.png (120.14 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Current uploader allows you to select tif file but on the ones I have tried I have always got a parsing error. The dng file in the same folder (created in Adobe lightroom) was not visible to select.