Hotbox Sulfume

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Hotbox Sulfume

Post by Paul D »

A few years ago there was a discussion about fumigation with Sulphur / Sulfur and the Hotbox Sulfume was mentioned. The concensus was that burning Sulphur cones is effective for mealy bugs but can damage plants. At that time no-one had tried the Hotbox Sulfume, which works not by burning the Suphur (they guarantee that no Sulphur gets burned) but by heating up only to the point where it vaporises. If it is Sulphur dioxide that is causing the plants harm, this would seem to avoid that.
So, since the last discussion, has anyone tried one of these? If so, how did you get on?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149352&p=149433
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Darren S
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hotbox Sulfume

Post by Darren S »

Hi Paul,

I've been using this on occasions since that discussion.

I can't comment on mealy bug as I've never seen one in my collection (I grow from seed or quarantine and thoroughly scrub every plant I buy).

It does seem to reduce RSM but had no noticeable effect on some other mites (I had a bad infestation of Bryobia mites on some cyclamen and eventually ditched all my cyclamen but still see the occasional mite on some mesembs).

It seems to kill spiders - which is not a good thing.

Not so relevant to cacti or succulents perhaps, but it does greatly reduce fungal problems such as botrytis.

On a positive note - I have a great range of plants (not just cacti & succulents) in my greenhouse and the sulfume has never caused any damage.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
Paul D
BCSS Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Thanks for your reply Darren.
I'm pleased to hear there has been no damage to plants- that was my main concern.
Yes, killing the spiders is not so good but then spraying with noxious chemicals has the same effect- I am at the stage of trying anything and everything to get rid of the white blighters. I'm not sure how many mealy bugs spiders eat- they seem to co-exist quite happily in the same pot!
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

Paul D wrote:Thanks for your reply Darren.
I'm pleased to hear there has been no damage to plants- that was my main concern.
Yes, killing the spiders is not so good but then spraying with noxious chemicals has the same effect- I am at the stage of trying anything and everything to get rid of the white blighters. I'm not sure how many mealy bugs spiders eat- they seem to co-exist quite happily in the same pot!
Your an experienced grower Paul. So not sure I'd be in a position to give you advice but I use, segregation, isolation and quarantine. All these require space.

Keep plants in groups with physical barriers between groups.
Don't let pots or plants touch off one another. Don't sit pots on sand.
Everything white barred from the greenhouse, especially in the growing medium.
All insects barred also, even the "good" ones.
Quarantine all new plants for at least a year.
Paul D
BCSS Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Your an experienced grower Paul. So not sure I'd be in a position to give you advice but I use, segregation, isolation and quarantine. All these require space.

Keep plants in groups with physical barriers between groups.
Don't let pots or plants touch off one another. Don't sit pots on sand.
Everything white barred from the greenhouse, especially in the growing medium.
All insects barred also, even the "good" ones.
Quarantine all new plants for at least a year.
Sadly with 4500 plants in 36x10' that's not possible. All new plants are quarantined of course- but it is not the introduction of new mealies that is the problem- it is the elimination of those introduced many years ago, in order to cut down on the inordinate amount of time spent each year keeping on top of them. But yes your advice is good- if only I had more space.
By the way Mealies can and do move around, whether or not plants are close together- I once watched one move 3m along a bench of my office / lab in the space of about 10 minutes.
I do keep on top of them and so long as I have the time and energy they are not a major problem- but I would so like to get rid of them. Hence the question about the Sulfume.
FionaW
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by FionaW »

I'm also interested in the Hotbox Sulfume burner. I have a similar issue to Paul - I have a 35ft polytunnel and a 14ft greenhouse filled with hundreds of plants. This summer has been particularly bad for mealy bug. I have been trying to use a IPM system (Integrated Pest Management) incorporating limited and varied pesticide use with Isopropyl applied topically or used as a soak, but having returned from holiday recently the problem is as bad as ever.

Has anyone else tried the Hotbox for mealy bug control since the last post in this thread? I'd be interested to find out and if there's any plant damage or effective control.

I'm also looking at using Neem powder or cake mixed in with the compost as a few websites suggest that it can be taken up systemically. I grow mostly succulents including echeveria, graptopetalum, euphorbias, haworthias, agaves and sansevieria so don't want to use Neem Oil on these at it seems as though this might damage them.
agavemad
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by agavemad »

I bought one last year.... but I have not been brave enough to use it.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Dynamite. X( :tweed: It is the only sure fire way of getting rid of mealybugs.

I've come to the conclusion that ONE remedy does not work. You need a sustained attack on a weekly basis.

Neem Oil, SB plant invigorator, SB lookalike, water from hosepipe, meths, 2 different chemicals. Plus tweezers, brushes and checking under pots & trays.

I've given everything a spray with all of the above liquids except meths and it does seem to have held them in check, with only a couple of infestations that have had the out-the-pot-hose-pipe treatment.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop