All out of sync

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

All out of sync

Post by iann »

This Lithops optica appears to be the last flower for this season. The bud has been hanging around for ages, but just not enough sun to open it.
optica-0315.jpg
Cheshire, UK
iann
BCSS Member

Re: All out of sync

Post by iann »

These are all in sync, doing exactly what they should.

Unknown (originally described as L. helmutii)
otzeniana-0315.jpg
L. otzeniana (thanks Tony, all straight now)
helmutii-0315.jpg
Last edited by iann on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheshire, UK
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Astro »

That helmutii is the spitting image of one of my L. herrei (ex C355), maybe just a tad greener but that's hard to judge on a screen. There may be differences in flower size that make it easier to distinguish them.
L. herrei ex C355
L. herrei ex C355
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

The L. helmutii is a cutting from a very old plant. It did come to me unlabelled, could it actually have been L. herrei in disguise for the last 10 years? Here is the original before it was chopped, showing the bicuneate profile and reasonably large flowers that made me call it L. helmutii. L. herrei is more compact, less green, less shiny, and generally smaller including the flowers.
helmutii10.jpg
helmutii10.jpg (84 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
helmutii9.jpg
Cheshire, UK
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

So this is truly all out of sync! The "L. helmutii", possibly labelled L. otzeniana on your screen, is not the plant I have labelled as L. helmutii and shown in the latest photos. It is a different plant, which also came to me unlabelled. It is quite a challenge and is still unlabelled today. It might be L. herrei which is highly variable. Here are the two side by side in rather poor light today:
ywc-0316.jpg
Here it is in different conditions next to L. naureeniae:
naureeniae-0726.jpg
And here shortly after I first got it. Hard to believe, but it really is the same plant. Now you know why I haven't put a name to it.
notbromfieldii2.jpg
notbromfieldii2.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Lastly next to one type of L. herrei:
herrei-0801.jpg
Cheshire, UK
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

This Lithops amicorum can go in the out of sync gallery. It either stacked really badly last year or produced two new leaf pairs. Either seems possible, I think it is a recent transplant from a pot of seedlings. This species is small but enthusiastic and can quickly get out of hand with too much water or too little light.
amicorum-0326.jpg
Cheshire, UK