What fertilizers do you use?  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: What fertilizers do you use?

Post by Nick_G »

Yes Rod, total Immersion where possible but some of the pots are too big for that, I just don't have a bucket big enough.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Nick_G wrote:Yes Rod, total Immersion where possible but some of the pots are too big for that, I just don't have a bucket big enough.
Garden pond? :wink: :lol:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Karsty
Registered Guest
Branch: LUTON

Post by Karsty »

@rodsmith @Nick_G When I water my cacti, especially at the first time in the season, I water through from the top, until there is a pool of it in their saucers. Over the next 12 hours or so all of it gets absorbed. I'm pretty sure capillary action brings it through to every part of the rootball.
Karsty
Registered Guest

Post by Karsty »

Hi All,

So on the strength of what I've read here I bought Chempak no. 8 (low N) and also no. 3 (fully balanced)

In both, about half of the N is ureic!

Thompson & Morgan are pretty annoying because there is no way to check this online. The only place they have this information is physically on the cardboard box. How silly is that? I've asked them twice about giving this information an online presence. Maybe if we flood them with requests they might actually do it??

@ralphrmartin It seems that Miracle Gro Ericaceous Plant Food is now called "azalea, camellia & rhododendron plant food", and this also has about half its N as ureic.

I know this isn't the place for it, but I have a side issue in my search for low/no ureic N fertilisers, I also need it for my orchids and Tillandsias. I also don't want to pay the price of gold for it, if possible!

The search continues.....
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

Check out Solufeed Rose Special. The nitrogen content is non-ureic.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

It looks as though T & M might have changed the formula to save money. My present stock of Chempak 8 does not contain any urea, the nitrogen is all in the form of nitrates and ammonium salts.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Karsty I use Akernes Rain Mix for my orchids and tillandsias, quite expensive but better value for money than other orchid fertilizers I have used in the past. It seems to give very good results, my plants have been growing much more strongly and healthily since switching
Karsty
Registered Guest

Post by Karsty »

Thank you Ali and Peter.

I'm a bit perturbed by the low P content of Akernes Rain Mix, Ali, ..... :S

I'm not sure exactly how to always interpret the figures, because there is at least two ways of recording the percentages of the N, P, and K. Anyhow, I've gone for the Solufeed Rose Special, and I'm going to use it for everything! It's very good value for money, and delivered at no extra charge.
Karsty
Registered Guest

Post by Karsty »

EDIT ! ! !

Below are photos of the 2 T&M fertilisers in question. The fully balanced has ureic nitrogen. The low nitrogen does not! I blame T&M for not posting proper info about their fertilisers online :mrgreen:
IMG_20180815_104301.jpg
IMG_20180815_104214.jpg
IMG_20180814_111929.jpg
IMG_20180814_112008.jpg
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Karsty wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:56 pm Thank you Ali and Peter.

I'm a bit perturbed by the low P content of Akernes Rain Mix, Ali, ..... :S
I presume the low P content reflects the low availability of P in the usual habitat of epiphytes. In any case I haven’t noticed any signs of deficiencies in my plants since switching to Rain Mix. In fact they have grown much better than before, but that could just be due to the continual low level feeding