Dactylopsis from seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mafate79
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Dactylopsis from seed

Post by Mafate79 »

Bravo! (tu)
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Well done, Muiria look fantastic soo cute
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
David1971
Registered Guest

Post by David1971 »

Hi everybody

An update of my Muiria and Dactylopsis after waking up
DSC_8266.JPG
DSC_8266.JPG (128.44 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
DSC_8407_01.JPG
DSC_8407_01.JPG (107.42 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

They look really nice!
Aiko wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:19 am But it is emerging from summer dormancy for a few summers now, so I must be doing something good. I treat it the same as Muiria.
I can't say that anymore!
Aiko wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:19 am Muiria does sort of grow well for me. I haven't had it in flower, but growing quite nicely. Treating as Muiria for me means to very regularly give it light splashes of water from August to (about) May. Just a short summer dormancy. This is not to say you should treat it like that, but for me it at least stays alive.
And I can't say that anymore too...

It was nice trying, but I have given up on Dactylopsis, Muiria and Diplosoma.
David1971
Registered Guest

Post by David1971 »

I am gladly surprised by the evolution of both species, particularly in the case of Dactylopsis because I have done nothing special apart from respecting the growth/rest cycle. My climatic conditions, with mild and sunny winters, seem to be very good for these plants. They also seem to like my standard mesemb mix, which includes quartzite and sandy loam among other components.
Hopscotch
Registered Guest
Branch: HULL

Post by Hopscotch »

Hi David1971,

Thanks for posting photos of your young dactylopsis plants. I grew some from seed this September and recently repotted them from their group container into individual pots once they had sprouted three digits. They seem to be happy and have continued growing.
What strikes me about your photos is the 'hairy' based from which resurgent digits sprang. Do dactylopsis seedlings die back during their first dormant period into tiny egg-shaped stumps shown in your photos? Excuse my ignorance, I'm new to growing and caring for succulents. I understand I should be particularly sparse with watering these plants which are in a sandy, gritty substrate with a top dressing of quartz-based grit. I want to give these plants the best chance of surviving. They make me smile each morning when I switch on their LED lights because they resemble tiny green sausage balloons. I hope I can emulate your success with these plants. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Margaret.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

Dactylopsis come with a lot of rumours about how to grow them.
Mine are obligate winter growers. But I give them a fair bit of water when they are in leaf. Unlike lithops they do not cycle water from one year to the next, so each year they die down to the messy knub at the bottom and need water to fill up those fingers.
Not saying I grow them well. I find them easy to keep alive but hard to get them growing well. I think this is because they want a lot of water at a time when it isready damo in a uk greenhouse.
Cheers
David Lambie
Hopscotch
Registered Guest
Branch: HULL

Post by Hopscotch »

Thank you for the advice David. I'm thinking of growing a second generation to test out the theory about adding a little salt to their substrate. I suppose the only way to learn is by growing a few tests pots under different conditions and observe the results.

Margaret.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

For me, salt is one of those stories. It is not the only plant that did not fit our expectations in the 1960s (wanting low water and growing in summer) and acrued a peculiar story.
It grows with many easy to grow plants and is in locations that are no more salty than many, many others.
To be fair I have no measurements on this and, as mentioned, mine live but do not flower, so perhaps I am missing something.
Cheers
David Lambie