Take home haul last weekend - Abbey Brooke Cactus Nursery

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Take home haul last weekend - Abbey Brooke Cactus Nursery

Post by FaeLLe »

So I had the privilege of visiting the Abbey Brooke Cactus Nursery last weekend.

The nursery is so great with very mature plants and the national collection's of Mammillaria and Haworthia was splendid; not to mention Brian and Gill were the most friendly people ever :)
Such a mature plant, my first copiapo
Such a mature plant, my first copiapo
Copiapo humilis, Look at all the wool
Copiapo humilis, Look at all the wool
Apparently these grow really tall!
Apparently these grow really tall!
Really thick and dark green
Really thick and dark green
Red and vivid
Red and vivid
Not a clue how to care for conophytum's
Not a clue how to care for conophytum's
Attachments
Echeveria black prince, nothing exotic :)
Echeveria black prince, nothing exotic :)
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Take home haul last weekend - Abbey Brooke Cactus Nursery

Post by iann »

Copiapoas are nice, but where's all the Lithops?

Conophytums, especially the big beefy bilobe ones like yours, can be completely dry now until maybe July. They should dry out to a white sheath, but quite likely will break out before you even give them water, or even before they dry out. The little tiny ones dry out easier and can take some persuading to start growing again at the end of summer. Water in autumn, maybe in winter if you have great winter sun (not here!), and then dry out in spring. You already have fruit and you'll have ripe seed by the end of summer.
Cheshire, UK
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

iann wrote:Copiapoas are nice, but where's all the Lithops?

Conophytums, especially the big beefy bilobe ones like yours, can be completely dry now until maybe July. They should dry out to a white sheath, but quite likely will break out before you even give them water, or even before they dry out. The little tiny ones dry out easier and can take some persuading to start growing again at the end of summer. Water in autumn, maybe in winter if you have great winter sun (not here!), and then dry out in spring. You already have fruit and you'll have ripe seed by the end of summer.
Hey thanks for the cultivation advice iann most appreciated.
These are under 1000W grow lights so guess I will keep them growing throughout winter.

So if I understand correctly in my situation,
- Water once in july (dry till then)
- Water once in autumn
- Water once in winter?

Then repeat as above? The situation is that my greenhouse is indoors (hence the grow lights!) and it never gets below 24 C; in this case do I keep watering all througout winter? Maybe if they shrivel a lot?
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

iann wrote:........and you'll have ripe seed by the end of summer.
Most likely ripe hybrid seed, which I wouldn't advise or encourage sowing to confuse what's in cultivation even further. :sad:

I would advise anyone unsure of Conophytum cultivation to read this; http://conophytum.com/Cultivation.aspx
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Conophytums in a tropical climate? That could be tricky.
Cheshire, UK
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Too right Ian.....
"......and it never gets below 24 C"

FaeLLe is trying to grow unsuitable plants for their conditions. Doomed to fail :sad:

Do some research!
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Back when there used to be an annual show at Dartford, there was a regular visitor who grew perfect plants in his loft using 100% artificial light. It's something I don't know much about but I reckon it's possible if light and temperature can be controlled. The difficult think might be to control the winter temperature but I like the thought of being able to control the light levels. There looks to be something familiar about the E.Laui label!!
Stuart
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Stuart wrote:There looks to be something familiar about the E.Laui label!!
Stuart
Stuart there are couple of plants in there from you :) That E.Laui was purchased at the South East Cactus Mart two years ago from yourselves.

I started my succulent / cacti craze from plantlifecactus! I always make sure to say Hello to you whenever we meet at shows.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

ChrisR wrote:Too right Ian.....
"......and it never gets below 24 C"

FaeLLe is trying to grow unsuitable plants for their conditions. Doomed to fail :sad:

Do some research!
Chris unfortunately there is only so much I can do to regulate temperatures in the extra bedroom I have made into my office / grow room. This includes leaving the windows open and heating turned off in winter ;)

I have quite a few winter growers in there (Most of my aeonium's and howarthia's grow on clock this way) and I simulate winter conditions by dropping down light levels from 1000W to 250W gradually as the year progresses and cutting down water (not ideal I know but 2 out of 3 are managed - light, water, temperature).
agavemad
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by agavemad »

Nice haul.... I do like an annual trip to Abbey Brooke.
Hope Brian and Gill are keeping well.