Take home haul last weekend - Abbey Brooke Cactus Nursery

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Take home haul last weekend - Abbey Brooke Cactus Nursery

Post by FaeLLe »

agavemad wrote:Nice haul.... I do like an annual trip to Abbey Brooke.
Hope Brian and Gill are keeping well.
They are, Brian was very busy repotting :)

Gill was kind enough to sell me a pup from one of their monster agave's! Really like that one too.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

In my very limited experience of mimicking the difference between summer and winter under grow lights, I used to adjust daylength rather than intensity. I think that something like a conophytum would respond better to that.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

I understand the day length can be controlled but it was just the mention of a 24C minimum temperature that gives me cause to wonder as they all normally experience winter temperatures down to or just above freezing. Having no experience of growing under lights I've really no clue how conos or any mesembs would or even could adapt. It will be interesting to hear any future reports from FaeLLe or from anyone who has succeeded with similar constant high temp conditions.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by FaeLLe »

D^L wrote:In my very limited experience of mimicking the difference between summer and winter under grow lights, I used to adjust daylength rather than intensity. I think that something like a conophytum would respond better to that.
D^L - I do that too, try to mimick the sunlight availability timings using a timer plug too along with light intensity.

ChrisR - Will make a post for sure on how Cono's responded to grow light behaviour without temperature adjustments. I will be making an extra effort to try cool down the room this winter!

Usually I am too paranoid to even leave the room door open to avoid exposure to bugs....
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

To stop 'bugs' getting into your growing area, how about making screens from fine insect proof mesh so you can leave doors/windows open.

See the Agralan Enviromesh website http://www.enviromesh.co.uk/

Steven
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!