Drainage

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
agavemad
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Drainage

Post by agavemad »

I use a simple mix
2 parts compost
1 part grit sand
1 part gravel
It works well for me.
I grow mostly echeverias, aeoniums, Haworthias and agaves. No cactus so I cant comment on them.
The plants grow well and when I need to repot the mix falls from around the roots and doesn't seam to bind.
Craney85
BCSS Member
Branch: COVENTRY

Post by Craney85 »

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. OCD wise can't have pink soil :grin: shame the cat litter that works is that colour
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

I use 4:4:1 mix, that is JI 3: the RHS grit that you use Craney85: cat litter.

The cat litter is not exactly needed but it is a good moisture regulator. Otherwise it's 1:1 JI: grit. Don't use the grit sand. Perlite's poor stuff for cacti, it gives an arid, dry, lifeless compost.
TheChinski
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by TheChinski »

PInk cat litter is certainly an acquired taste! I use a 1:1 ratio of sifted cat litter and sifted grit. The grit makes the colour a little more bareable, but I'm on the lookout for a nice coloured top dressing
Aaron Rucinski
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD

Post by FaeLLe »

Craney85 wrote:Thanks for the advice and suggestions. OCD wise can't have pink soil :grin: shame the cat litter that works is that colour
You can use Akadama, its brown!
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

I use Focus Cactus Potting Mix and Westland potting grit (1:1 ratio most of the time).
Works great for me albeit a bit expensive (£7 for a 8 litre bag).

Not messed around with JI's yet because the focus cactus potting mix comes out of a sealed sterilised bag so I dont have to sterilise it..
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by daniel82 »

FaeLLe wrote:I use Focus Cactus Potting Mix and Westland
Works great for me albeit a bit expensive (£7 for a 8 litre bag).

I'd be broke after repotting half my collection!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

As with most commercial "cactus soils", the Focus product is essentially peat. In time you'll discover why this type of mix is not used by most growers, although perhaps it will remain a mystery why it is so expensive ...
Cheshire, UK
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

FaeLLe wrote: Not messed around with JI's yet because the focus cactus potting mix comes out of a sealed sterilised bag so I dont have to sterilise it..
The bag might be sealed but I thought that all plastic bags have to have holes in them these days ( by law?) so that when toddlers put them over their heads they don't suffocate. So maybe not so sterile after all!

Al
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

iann wrote:As with most commercial "cactus soils", the Focus product is essentially peat. In time you'll discover why this type of mix is not used by most growers, although perhaps it will remain a mystery why it is so expensive ...
Thanks iann I use only a very minimal amount when I do.
But nowadays I have started moving most of my plants at to a pure mineral mix of pumice and akadama or only pumice.

The best part about the focus mix is the particle size: it is only 1-2 mm max so very free draining.