Echeveria leaf cutting query

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Simon83
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Echeveria leaf cutting query

Post by Simon83 »

Hi again, could someone help me with my leaf cuttings,
I've had mixed success taking them from different echeveria varieties. Everything I took from the setosa ones seemed to shrivel up and die before they started shooting - can you take leaf cuttings from this sort?

Another thing I've always wondered is whether it matters which leafs you use. I have some tiny ones which fell off which I've just put in a tray hoping they'll grow, they're about 1/3 the size of the larger ones on the plant. Will they still shoot OK being so small or is it preferable to take the largest leaf possible?

Finally, the following picture shows some amoena ones which took forever to shoot - but now they're doing really well! I've just taken this picture and was wondering when I should be taking them and putting them in small individual pots? Do I let them get a bit larger or?
P1250288.jpg
Thanks a lot,
Simon
Craney85
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Re: Echeveria leaf cutting query

Post by Craney85 »

I have a few baby setosa that I propagated from leaves so it's possible. Seem to be quite slow to grow. Also my big plant got sunburn so I beheaded it and it's now growing loads of small ones at every angle.
I'm no expert, but I'd say repot when they are a bit bigger and the original leaf is totally shrivelled. This is what I've read online before. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

The easiest leaves to use are the lower ones which detach without spoiling the look of the plants. Unfortunately they're the leaves that would have dried up first if left on the plant and not the best ones to use for cuttings. To make the most of a plant I usually cut out the centre of the plant to root and keep in the collection. The middle rosette of leaves are good for cuttings and the remaining stem with a few layers of leaves should provide offsets. Just to add to the confusion, some Echeverias don't grow from leaf cuttings, other than those from the flower stem, but Setosa should be easy, other than washing the leaves away when watering.
Stuart
Simon83
Registered Guest

Post by Simon83 »

Thanks very much for your replies. I'll leave them a little longer before moving them. Do you know if the cristate forms will go from leaf cuttings? I have a really nice one which i took a few leafs from but so far nothing is happening (about 4 weeks now).
agavemad
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by agavemad »

If the cristate leaves grow in my experience the chances are the plants that grow from these will not be cristate.
Emile
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Emile »

nice plants, you have done well
:embar: :embar: :embar: :embar: :embar:
Simon83
Registered Guest

Post by Simon83 »

agavemad wrote:If the cristate leaves grow in my experience the chances are the plants that grow from these will not be cristate.
Thanks everyone. I've taken a few leaves from E. Gilva which I have in cristate form. If they shoot and grow do you mean will they'll turn into normal Gilva varieties?
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

Yes normal Gilva.

when taking leaf cuttings if your leaves tear then chances are your cuttings wont root up, the leaf has to be whole maybe this is why some have failed?
Simon83
Registered Guest

Post by Simon83 »

I think i was very careful, it just seems to be anything from the setosa varieties. I've got a few more recent ones so will see what happens.

It could be that i had them in a spot which was too bright. They were next to the plant which got a bit of sunburn.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Stuart wrote: Just to add to the confusion, some Echeverias don't grow from leaf cuttings, ...
When my Grandad used to grow African Violets from single leaves he could never get them to root down. After somebody told him to have two separate leaves back to back he never had a problem.

Maybe that trick might work with succulents too? :?:
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop