Grafting onto Cleistocactus strausii

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick1
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Grafting onto Cleistocactus strausii

Post by Nick1 »

Hi All.

As I have an abundance of C. strausii I thought perhaps I could put it to good use.
A quick search on the internet didn't offer much information but is there any reason not to use it for grafting stock?

Thanks.
Nick, West London
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Grafting onto Cleistocactus strausii

Post by Tony R »

I don't see why not. The only plant I have that is grafted onto C. strausii is a large cristate of C. strausii (tu). I use various borzicactus (particularly B. samaipatanus) as grafting stock for all sorts of things.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Grafting onto Cleistocactus strausii

Post by DaveW »

When I joined our branch in the 1960's there was a story that went around where two of our members visited a cactus nursery in a Morris Mini. One of them whilst there bought a tall Cleistocactus strausii and when intending returning home found it would not fit in the car. He apparently chopped it in half to get it in and the story goes he grafted both halves together when he got home. As both left the branch shortly after we never did learn if it continued to thrive.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.