Out with the old

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Astro
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Out with the old

Post by Astro »

In with the new!

It's been a rainy winter compared to California standards, and my outdoor Lithops are running behind schedule to renew their leaves. Cactus flowers are running about a month behind as well (only M. perezdelarosae and Stenocactus so far, more in bud but nothing opening).

I like the striking contrast between the vibrant new leaves and the old, faded ones.

Albinica looking much greener than at the end of summer, when an excess of sun turns them more yellow.
L. lesliei cv 'Albinica'
L. lesliei cv 'Albinica'
Reticulate form of L. julii
L. julii 'reticulate'
L. julii 'reticulate'
Tanquana hanging on to its leaves (probably because I've been underwatering all winter, they must be hanging on to any moisture for dear life. I'll soak them once the current rainy spell passes.)
Tanquana hilmarii
Tanquana hilmarii
L. fulviceps leaves can get bleached and faded in the sun (same for hookeri). New Year's resolution is to do better this year with the new crop.
L. fulviceps v. lactinea
L. fulviceps v. lactinea
L. naureeniae, one of my personal favorites because of the crisp islands.
L. naureeniae
L. naureeniae
Lampranthus in the back yard: quite common around here, but a magnificent display nevertheless.
Lampranthus
Lampranthus
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Out with the old

Post by rodsmith »

Thanks for the photos and comments, Astro. Living in the UK, all my plants are inside my conservatory, where the light levels are probably a good bit lower than yours, outside in California. Nevertheless, my lithops are not far behind yours in shedding their old leaves. Another month and I will be able to water some of them.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Debbie
Registered Guest
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Debbie »

I only have a couple of Lithops.. long ago lost their labels . Lovely Lampranthus so cheerful ! Lovely to see your photos . Debbie
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I love how Lithops look at this time of year.

L. verruclosa shows the classic old faded leaves and bright colourful new ones
verruculosa-0423.jpg
L. luteoviridis even more so
luteoviridis-0423.jpg
Same for Lithops 'Hammeruby'
hammeruby-0423.jpg
This L. katasmontana seems to be the opposite, with the new leaves no yet as strongly coloured as the old ones
karasmontana-0423.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Astro »

I like the pink Hammeruby. Mine are more a purple shade, but that could be due to the more generous winter sun.

On the topic of bleaching, here is 'Royal Flush' a few months ago. The old leaf pair is now almost indistinguishable from a green P. nelii leaf pair (there was also an Unfortunate Watering Event which will make drying out the old leaves extra challenging, but that's another matter).
'Royal Flush'
'Royal Flush'
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD

Post by FaeLLe »

Astro wrote:I like the pink Hammeruby. Mine are more a purple shade, but that could be due to the more generous winter sun.

On the topic of bleaching, here is 'Royal Flush' a few months ago. The old leaf pair is now almost indistinguishable from a green P. nelii leaf pair (there was also an Unfortunate Watering Event which will make drying out the old leaves extra challenging, but that's another matter).
WP_20161206_004.jpg
My Royal Flush has been sitting with an open mouth for around 2 years now (not growing or reducing in size) and it has not got a single drop of water!

Any tips on making it push out new leaves? Should I just repot it...
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

L. bromfieldii var mennellii
mennellii-0503.jpg
Cheshire, UK