Lithops Seed Sowings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
cactuspip
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lithops Seed Sowings

Post by cactuspip »

Knowing my luck with the drying and restarting technique I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a set of replacements from Jennifer Smale.
They were sown this afternoon and then placed in my 10x6 greenhouse, under the bench.

Watch this space.........
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

If its any consolation, or encouragement, by MSG Lithops seed this year all germinated, promptly and at a good rate. I swear there are more L. meyeri than there were seeds! Only L. karasmontana 'Purpur' was slightly disappointing, with a number of very weak pale seedlings that didn't make it, which is not unusual for this new cultivar (highly inbred?). However, the ones that did survive are extremely strong and deeply coloured.
Cheshire, UK
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

I had a similar experience with karasmonata Purpur. A few germinated only to perish. I just have one left which, by its size, probably germinated later than the others.

Again as encouragement, I left my Lithops sowing until late last year, but the July and August-sown seedlings are doing well.

Normally Lithops comes up easily, but I did have one bad experience with one supplier's seed, as I recorded in another thread last year. Not a single seed germinated from about 30 or so packets. Something was seriously wrong to have that result, but it is very unusual. Good growing with the new crop!
rayblue
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by rayblue »

Covering with clingfilm will make hypha to grow if you don't disinfect the soil. which will kill the seedlings even inhibit the seeds to germinate.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

I must just be lucky! It's my first year trying the MSG seeds and my L. karasmontana 'Purpur' have germinated OK. I have 5 plants and all are just as big and healthy as the other 15 Lithops varieties I have sown. :shock:

I do not use the `Baggie method' just soak the pots and growing medium in boiling water, leave to cool and then after germination, lightly spray/mist every few days or so.
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
cactuspip
BCSS Member

Post by cactuspip »

UPDATE
Of the 26 packets of seeds down last Monday 23 have had germination so far. Only 3 to go!!

This definitely suggests the first sowing was cooked and hence zero germination.

Lesson learned.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Well done, Philip, you clearly made the right decision.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
cactuspip
BCSS Member

Post by cactuspip »

I applied one of the great military dictums - Don't reinforce failure. It has clearly worked.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BrianMc »

Well done!
That's good news
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse