Colourful plants, after winter.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Colourful plants, after winter.

Post by Liz M »

It's finally turned into a chilly spring and everything in and out of the greenhouse is waking up and growing and flowering. So, here are some of my more colourful plants
Hilderwintera aureispina
Hilderwintera aureispina
Echeveria halbingeri
Echeveria halbingeri
Unknown Sempervivum
Unknown Sempervivum
Aeonium decorum
Aeonium decorum
peperomia graveolens
peperomia graveolens
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Re: Colourful plants, after winter.

Post by Liz M »

Echeveria elegans
Echeveria elegans
It has been outside all winter and has grown into a colourful and compact plant.
Echeveria prolifica
Echeveria prolifica
This, too, has been outside all winter but in shelter, during the mild spell in March I put it out on the patio and it took up this nice shade of pink.
Sempervivum(Jovibarba) heuffellii 'Greenstone'
Sempervivum(Jovibarba) heuffellii 'Greenstone'
At least ten years old and very slow growing.
Sedum rubrotinctum cuttings
Sedum rubrotinctum cuttings
This I put outside on a sheltered rack earlier this year and it turned bright red.
Cremnosedum 'Little Gem'
Cremnosedum 'Little Gem'
This has been on the same rack and over the last couple of months turned salmon pink
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by FaeLLe »

LizM did you give the Echeveria Elegans any covering to keep it dry in winter? I have one planted in the ground (with the soil being heavily replaced around it with very gritty cactus mix and lot of quartz).

Wondering if I will need to cover it with a glass pot or something to keep it dry over winter.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

I kept it under a patio table. Fortunately it is quite a big one and I had a couple of dozen plants under it. The table is on a south facing patio and gets plenty of shelter from the house.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Thanks Liz for sharing these, very enjoyable. It's always good to see our plants starting to grow again and the sun has given you some beautiful colours.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Don't they look lovely!
FaeLLe wrote:LizM did you give the Echeveria Elegans any covering to keep it dry in winter? I have one planted in the ground (with the soil being heavily replaced around it with very gritty cactus mix and lot of quartz).

Wondering if I will need to cover it with a glass pot or something to keep it dry over winter.
E. elegans is one I have been growing outside for over 20 years and never covered. I started with one plant and now have it all over the place - even in a tree. Dartford is not far from here - you should be fine.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.