Opuntia Microdasys advice please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
picnic
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Opuntia Microdasys advice please

Post by picnic »

IMG_20170428_102542727.jpg
I bought the plant on the right 18 months ago and took a cutting last March which has grown into the plant on the left and both now have vigorous new growth. I have two questions, if anyone can help...

1 The propagated plant leans very strongly; I re-potted it in a more upright fashion but it's reverted to its old habit. I've gradually changed its position in case light is a factor but its made no difference (and none of my other plants on the same windowsill display this trait). Can anything be done to correct it or should I just embrace it (not literally of course as the spines are buggers!)?

2 Should I be looking to move the original plant to a bigger pot as it seems to be getting top-heavy? I might lop off another pad - seems silly to stop at two when I could have three :D

Cheers

Paul.
Last edited by picnic on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Opuntia Microdasys advice please

Post by Liz M »

This is normal growth behaviour for this Opuntia. The best light you can give it is the most you can do, full sunlight outdoors may make a slight difference. Yes, I would re-pot the old one, as it will grow and grow this year. You don't need warning about the glochids by now, so wear gloves and use tongs or strong tweezers to handle the plant.I'm not sure I would want to propagate too many of these. I have heard them referred to as a Devil Plant, they are not easy to give away.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
picnic
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Opuntia Microdasys advice please

Post by picnic »

Thank you Liz. I'll re-pot the original and perhaps take a pad off each... I think I put plastic bags over a pair of 'rigger' type gloves last time I had to handle one.