Determination it is

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Determination it is

Post by AnTTun »

My pyrrhocactus saxifragus had a fruit last year. Each time I've checked it seemed too soft, and it was reddish, so I left it alone.

I touched it today with my fingertip and it fell off, still kinda soft and red. So I had no choice but to take seeds out. At first I thought green stuff was a part of fruit inner tissue untill I took closer look. The seed started to germinate inside the fruit...
PySa.jpg
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Determination it is

Post by Diane »

Well, you've got a head start there! Stick 'em in some soil and hope for the best!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Anttun
Thats too easy, no wait involved, worth the wait (tu)
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

That's amazing. What will you do with all those seedlings?
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

Not seen that before. He he my thought as well Elizabeth.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I believe it is known as endogenous vivipary and is well known in what used be called the Neoporteria or Horridocactus group. Endogenous = growing or originating from within an organism + vivipary = producing seeds that germinate on the plant.

I used to find it quite often in those fruits in years past. As red is supposed to have an effect on germination I sometimes wonder whether the light shining through the ripe red fruit wall helps germination?

It is also known in Epiphyllum also is some other non cactaceous plants.

See:-

https://academic.oup.com/jxb/article/58 ... -epiphytic

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21636523

viewtopic.php?t=118804&start=10
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

It also happens with melocactus matanzanus if you don't open up the ripe fruit quickly enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Welllll.. I always thought fruit should dry first. Obviously I was quite wrong. Thanks for all the info.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

good luck antun
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

As Dave has mentioned, it is sometimes observed in Epiphyllum. Here is a pic of one of my plants taken a while ago. In this instance the fruit had been on the plant more than a year and was over ripe. A fact I had missed because I had expected it to change to a more reddish colour. I also wonder if this feature in Epiphyllum is restricted to the hybrids rather than true species and therefore anomalies that occur in cultivation would probably not exist in the wild. The prolonged time in the fruit and partial fermentation perhaps reduced the effect of germination inhibiters.
Unfortunately, my neat slice through the fruit also sliced through seeds and germinated seedlings alike.
fruit 002.jpg
How old is your fruit? I have not seen the phenomenon in pyrrhocactus or eriosyce. However, drawing attention the point that it is difficult to ascertain readiness, a factor with many of these fruits of closely related cacti is that they look ripe and enticing and ready to be eaten, but they are in fact hollow and dry. Unlike Lobivia/Echinopsis type cacti seed that are distributed by ants (providing a sugary funicle as an enticement) and Mammillaria types with juicy berries to be eaten and passed through the gut of a bird, I have come to the conclusion that these brightly coloured, dry fruits have evolved to attract birds. As the fruit is too big to be eaten in one go the bird will pull the fruit off the plant and fly to somewhere it feels safe in the anticipation of pecking away at a juicy meal. The truth of the matter is that the base of the hollow fruit has a little hole where it is removed from the plant and as the bird flies away, seeds will be distributed en route. Obviously the bird would soon realise there was nothing of any interest in the fruit and drop it, after which the fruit could be blown around by winds, releasing seed as it goes. I have an old slide somewhere highlighting the hole at the base of the fruit, but can't put my hand on it at the moment.

-------------------------
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse