Gasteria with pale leaves  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
afterglow
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Gasteria with pale leaves  Solved

Post by afterglow »

I bought a sad and dusty gasteria at a church fete, doreeniae I think. Over autumn and winter it thrived and grew many offsets. It was in a frost free greenhouse. In March I divided and repotted it but now the outer leaves of the parent and offsets are losing their green. It looks pale but not interesting. It is in the same unshaded greenhouse. Advice would be welcome. Thanks, Sue
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Gasteria with pale leaves

Post by Stuart »

It's fairly natural for Gasterias to lose their outer leaves as new leaves grow in the centre. I doubt if it's Doreeniae but a photo here would help to give more advice.
Stuart
afterglow
BCSS Member

Post by afterglow »

Thanks Stuart, here is a photo. Help with ID would be great, as I am new to this plant. Sue
Attachments
P1010100 (1024x768).jpg
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

A typical 'cultivated' Gasteria bicolor, what would have been called Gasteria maculata (= spotted leaves) in years gone by. Perfectly good and healthy, Sue.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
afterglow
BCSS Member

Post by afterglow »

Thank you Tony. What a useful forum this is.