Pyrenacantha malvifolia - black spot

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Pyrenacantha malvifolia - black spot

Post by FaeLLe »

Does anyone know what this black spot on the Pyrenacantha malvifolia caudex could be? Is it just markings / spots with aging or from the environment?

It does not appear soft or mushy but I sprayed it with fungicide and left it out for a week to dry out.

Any care instructions? I was just planning to pot it up in akadama as I have never had one of these before.... On google it looks like people are potting this up in plain old compost but I think that would be too water retentive.
IMG_1729.JPG
IMG_1728.JPG
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Pyrenacantha malvifolia - black spot

Post by Nick_G »

I grow mine in a 50/50 mix of JI no2 and sanicat cat litter. It's a very easy plant to grow and will increase in size quickly, after 10 years or so (probably less) mine is 100 cm+ round, sort of basketball size. I'm that sad that I measure all my caudex plants in October just to reassure myself that they are getting bigger. It puts on more growth than anything else. I keep it in our front room growing all year round and I've found that it's best to not trim the vines. Don't keep it too dry, I water when the top of the compost is dry but still moist underneath.

No idea what the black spot is.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Pyrenacantha malvifolia - black spot

Post by FaeLLe »

Thanks Nick I am less worried about the black spot it seems really firm like the rest of the plant.
I sprayed with fungicide just to be on the safe side.

Planted it in only akadama as it doesn't seem to have many roots and I didn't want to risk any decay without leaves.

How is the root system on your's is it thick and long, fibrous and thin - long / short ?