Haworthia question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
picnic
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Haworthia question

Post by picnic »

This plant has shot up a flower stalk in little more than a day, which was quite a nice surprise. However, I also notice that a whole new specimen is emerging at the base of the plant (bottom right in this photo).

Is it safe to take this as a cutting and if so, is now the time or should I wait 'til it gets a bit bigger? I'd probably have to remove it from the pot to get a good view/grip on it.
IMG_20170516_164522044.jpg
IMG_20170516_164522044.jpg (283.82 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Haworthia question

Post by Liz M »

I would leave the offset to grow bigger before removing it. Some people remove the flowers because they don't think they are interesting or don't want them, that is up to you. Do you really need to remove the offset? Plants that build up into a clump look very attractive.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I agree; you wouldn't pick every branch off a tree, would you?
IMG_3736.JPG
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
picnic
Registered Guest

Post by picnic »

OK thanks both, I'll see how it develops before considering getting the knife out :lol:
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by purzo »

Whilst it is true that large Haworthia clumps do look very attractive, and Picnic does have a nice looking plant there to start such a clump, you also have to consider the extra space that large clumps of anything are going to take up.

I like to take off a couple of offsets to grow on as spares or to swap before letting the clumping process begin. In this case I would also wait until it is bigger.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Bill

Post by Bill »

It realy is down to the individual some prefer/have room for big clumps while others prefer single heads or only have room for for smaller plants, there are no rules do what you prefer.

I would leave it until it is at least twice that size and preferably already putting down its own roots before removing.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
picnic
Registered Guest

Post by picnic »

More sound advice - thanks both. This is the only non-cactus I have (it was dumped on me by my wife) and I must admit it's starting to grow on me (no pun intended).
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Bill, would put me right here, I think this one is called "aristata"? Cheers
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Sorry, its Haworthia fasciata and the cultivar 'Big Band' that is being propagated in enormous numbers in Holland.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks for that Terry, must be old age creeping up. LoL