Repotting large plants

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Repotting large plants

Post by Ali Baba »

A few years ago I bought a grapefruit sized Echinocactus grusonii from IKEA for 50p (couldn't resist at that price, not my normal source of plants [emoji3]). It is now the size of a large football and needs to go up a pot size or two. It weighs a ton so I would like some tips on how to successfully repot it without damaging either the plant or myself. I suspect the spines will easily penetrate my leather gardening gloves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Repotting large plants

Post by Brian »

What a good post. Hmmmm grusonii - that sounds tricky, well done turning a grapefruit into a football! I have absolutely no idea and look forward to some experienced replies. I have a large plant or two requiring a repot. For starters it is surely necessary to have two people ( not the husband / wife - bad for domestic harmony).
Alexander
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Alexander »

If it's in a plastic pot I'd probably cut the pot away and just handle the plant by its root ball/base.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I usually repot the large ones on their sides. Gloves are pretty useless, particularly with Opuntia's as they soon get permanently embedded with glochids that penetrate right through them. Folded newspaper or polystyrene is best for gripping them since you can throw it in the bin afterwards complete with any embedded spines or glochids.

To repot a grusonii see:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RuEDsHFbDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDUTf6w4Osg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPZl4eZtbOs

With smaller cacti folded newspaper is better than gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i9VDz_Q83k

I would not water straight away though in the UK as in the link above but leave it at least a week for the roots to heal.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

The aforesaid football!
Thanks for the advice so far...
Alexander
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Alexander »

Very beautiful! (Though I don't envy you for having to repot it.) ;)
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by Geoff Lovell »

At least two people, or more.
Wrap the plant in towels or towelling, gently winding the fabric round and round thus making it easy to handle!
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Dead easy. Done this lots of times, yet to lose a spine. Simply tip the plant (dry compost) out of it's pot, on it's side onto an old blanket folded several times. Using the old pot as a gauge, put the correct amount of compost in the base of the new pot then lift the blanket and slide the plant into the new pot. Then fill the space around the plant with new compost. I've never actually needed assistance from anyone else and that included potting on monster Fero's.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I have an ancient Ferocactus, that was desperately in need of re-potting and have been putting it off for the last year or so. We had a branch gathering at my house this afternoon and I announced that we were going to re-pot it. It provided a useful spectacle for the less experienced there. In the end we had one person holding the plant, wrapped in bubble wrap, another pulling on the pot, whilst a third person(me) dug away in the pot to free the plant up. It was in a clay pot, which meant the plant roots had attached themselves to the inside (this often happens with clay pots). After a short period of digging, gentle tugging and determination the plant eased out of the pot(placed on its side). Re-potting was a relatively simple task, into a plastic pot, with the aid of large tweezers and trowels, to support the plant and another trowel to top up the compost. Little damage was done to either persons, plant or the pot. I am hoping after a week or so, I will be able to water it a little and that it will continue to grow and thrive. I am also hoping I don't have to re-pot it again, too soon.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Excellent advice and some great tips, thanks all. I'm almost looking forward to repotting it [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk